Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to delete redundant Itunes files?

I read that if you download podcasts etc, Itunes creates a mass of redundant files/copies etc. If true, is there a SIMPLE way to delete these rubbish files or do I have to buy some software program? If so, which does someone recommend?

Thanks.

Posted on May 30, 2019 6:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 31, 2019 9:13 AM

iTunes can stream Podcasts without making a local copy, or you can download a copy to play as you choose, even if the original file is removed from the feed. Typically podcasts from BBC comedy shows are only available for a month for example, so I like to download those. Generally if you delete an entry from the library you will be prompted to remove the source file from the media folder, but you don't have to, so potentially your media folder might contain some files that you've removed from the library and no longer want, but they could equally be files you do want after all. You can add the media folder to the library to reimport anything not currently known to the library, then delete and trash anything you want to throw away.

tt2

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 31, 2019 9:13 AM in response to Terme51

iTunes can stream Podcasts without making a local copy, or you can download a copy to play as you choose, even if the original file is removed from the feed. Typically podcasts from BBC comedy shows are only available for a month for example, so I like to download those. Generally if you delete an entry from the library you will be prompted to remove the source file from the media folder, but you don't have to, so potentially your media folder might contain some files that you've removed from the library and no longer want, but they could equally be files you do want after all. You can add the media folder to the library to reimport anything not currently known to the library, then delete and trash anything you want to throw away.

tt2

How to delete redundant Itunes files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.