Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Seagate external drive is read/write on one MAC and read only on new MAC

My seagate external drive should be compatible without any additional formatting or special software, with MAC. I used it successfully on my old MacBook Pro (El Capitan) and the formatting showed as Windows NT. However, on my new MacBook Pro (Mohave), the formatting shows as Windows NTFS and is read only.

Mohave.

El Capitan

Does Mohave have some block to NT that can be corrected without having to reformat this drive? I don't want to have to download all images, reformat and then reupload....

Posted on May 31, 2019 1:52 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

May 31, 2019 1:59 PM in response to julialee23

macOS can only natively read NTFS (Windows) volumes.

You have to install software to write to NTFS (Paragon, Tuxera).

Drive manufacturers bundle absolute crapware versions of those products with the drives instead of explaining how to format the drive for use on a Mac. You likely installed that on your other Mac.

Unless you need to use that drive with Windows and it must have permissions, there is no need to use NTFS.

Copy all of the data off that drive and use Disk Utility to Erase it as macOS Extended (Journaled). Then, copy the files back onto it.

In Disk Utility, you'll have to select "Show All Devices" from the view popup menu. It will then show the actual drive device in the list. Select that and Erase it, not the "4 Terabyte Blue" volume.

Seagate external drive is read/write on one MAC and read only on new MAC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.