Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

formatting external hard drive to imac

I recently bought a new iMac and am trying to use a Seagate Ultra Touch 2T external hard drive to use with Time Machine. After spending more than an hour on the phone with Apple Care, it was determined that the Seagate external hard drive was read only; therefore, I was unable to save any of my documents or photos to it. The only information that was being saved to this Seagate HDD through Time Machine were the iMac backups. There were no options to change the drive from read only to read/write. We did erase the HDD and try to re-format, with no luck. Any suggestions?

iMac 24″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Feb 4, 2022 7:38 AM

Similar questions

9 replies

Feb 4, 2022 7:52 AM in response to dialabrain

Just need some clarification: on my old (2015) iMac I used an external hard drive with Time Machine for both backups and my documents/photos. So are you saying that I am not able to do the same with this new iMac--I need to have two HDD, one for backups and one for documents/photos? I assume that's what you mean by "time machine drive"?

formatting external hard drive to imac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.