Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Labelling a movie clip on iPad

I have made and saved .mp4 clips on my MacBook, all with their own file name identifying them, and then transferred them to my iPad. On the iPad they appear as black rectangles with just their running time showing - no names, titles or any identifiers. As there are several, I have no way of telling them apart.

I see two ways of achieving some identification, but I cannot get either to work.

1) Place a title on the first frame of the movie, so it shows in the black rectangle thumbnail. The trouble with using iMovie is that all the titles fade in, so the first frame is blank. Is there a way to place a title on the first frame so that it shows in the thumbnail?

2) On the iPad, use 'Files' to identify and re-name each movie file. The trouble here is that 'Files' is only showing PDFs and no movies. (Also, the PDFs cannot be opened as they are in the "Recently Deleted Folder"). How can I locate movies in 'Files', and then if I re-name them, will that name appear under their thumbnail?

Or are there any other ways I can achieve what should be an eminently achievable result? We have had the iPad for more than 10 years now, and Apple resolutely refuse to provide a basic file management system for their users. Is it that they just don't care, or is there a compelling reason why they can't?

Thanks for any help.

iPad mini 3, iOS 12

Posted on Jun 1, 2019 12:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2019 10:45 PM

Hi Rich,

Thanks for your time. I have posted the query on to the iPad forum, but I shall also look at putting each one into an album. The trouble is there will probably end up more than 100 videos, so it will not be the most useable system!

Cheers, Pat.

Similar questions

8 replies

Jun 3, 2019 10:48 AM in response to Doggamarsh

Hmmm. I looked on my iPad Photos app and the vids are showing there with a black thumbnail and no title. I didn't see any way to add a title or description or display a file name. I am using iMovie 10.1.11 with Mojave. I recall it always being that way, even before iMovie 10.1.10, so your Mac iMovie version is not the issue.

However, there may be something that we are both overlooking. You might want to post your question on the iPad apple forum to see if the contributors there have any suggestions. Here's the link:

https://discussions.apple.com/community/ipad/using_ipad

If you find the answer and have the time, please post back here so that others can benefit.

Good luck with this.

-- Rich

Jun 4, 2019 7:19 AM in response to Doggamarsh

I've played with this a little more. It is possible that you can avoid the black thumbnail display in Photos by placing a still image in the movie as the first frame. If you think that it is worth it to you, you could experiment to see if your findings agree with mine, and whether it would work as a possible solution.

It seems that:

1. Unedited video clips display the thumbnail photo of the first frame in Photos app, i.e, no black frame.
  2. Edited clips rendered from iMovie that start with a video clip title or transition display a black frame in photos app.
  3. If one places a previously rendered movie into a new iMovie project, and inserts a still picture as the first frame, for example a screen shot of the first frame or title, and then renders out the movie again, the rendered movie will display that first frame when placed in the Photos app. So there will be no black frame.

Therefore you might try placing into a new iMovie project one of your videos that is displaying a black frame in the Photos app. Then insert a still image per No. 3 above as the first frame, and share out the movie. Place the shared out movie into the Photos app and see if you get a display other than the black frame. It could be possible to take a screen shot of a frame from a previously edited movie that has been imported into a new project, use the Preview app on your Mac to add identifying info to the the resulting desktop photo, and insert that as the first frame in the movie.

For future movies, perhaps placing a still shot as the first frame, with identifying info on it, would render a movie that doesn't display a black thumbnail in the photos app.

Just a thought.

-- Rich

Jun 1, 2019 8:37 AM in response to Doggamarsh

Hi,

The Scrolling Credits title does not have a fade. When you open the template to enter text (it shows light blue) hit delete on your keyboard and then start typing. Your text will display at the top of the preview screen. Place your cursor in front of the text and hit Return on your keyboard to move it downward if you want. Each time you hit Return it will move down one space.

-- Rich

Jun 3, 2019 5:01 AM in response to Rich839

Hi Rich, thanks for your quick response. I have tried your method and have achieved the single word title that I wanted, but on the first frame the title lies below the bottom of the screen, and only appears after a few frames. This means that my need for title on the thumbnail has not been met. Could it be my old copy of iMovie, 10.1.10?

Thanks again.

Jun 3, 2019 1:41 PM in response to Rich839

Following up on this, I did a search on the iPad Apple forum. The posts that I found all indicated that it was not possible to label videos and photos in the Photos for iOS app unless one used a third party app. Perhaps your recent post on that forum will elicit additional comment.

However, albums in the Photos for iOS app can be named. Therefore, as a workaround you could create an album for each video, and name the album to describe the video. Or put a group of related videos in each album.

In the last analysis file management and labeling is not a strong suit of iOS. Probably best to store and organized your videos in Photos for Mac, where you can label them, attach keywords, put them in albums, and so on.

-- Rich

Labelling a movie clip on iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.