Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music v. iTunes Match

Two questions:

1. Does the Apple Music subscription include iTunes Match and/or provide DRM-free downloads?
  2. Relatedly, will my iTunes Match iCloud Music Library automatically transfer to Apple Music’s iCloud Music Library if I subscribe to Apple Music?

A little background: 99.9% of my music files are backed up to the iTunes Match iCloud Music Library and an external hard drive. Because the amount of data is so large, I don’t keep the files saved locally on my computer and would like to avoid doing so if I switch over to Apple Music, which I am contemplating as iTunes is rumored to be ending and it’s unclear what that may mean for iTunes Match.

Posted on Jun 1, 2019 5:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2019 7:35 PM

Does the Apple Music subscription include iTunes Match and/or provide DRM-free downloads?

No. Apple Music will match but you do not ever get title to the music.

99.9% of my music files are backed up to the iTunes Match iCloud Music Library

You should not consider iTunes Match as a backup of your music. Apple does not promote it as such.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 1, 2019 7:35 PM in response to AppAnon

Does the Apple Music subscription include iTunes Match and/or provide DRM-free downloads?

No. Apple Music will match but you do not ever get title to the music.

99.9% of my music files are backed up to the iTunes Match iCloud Music Library

You should not consider iTunes Match as a backup of your music. Apple does not promote it as such.

Apple Music v. iTunes Match

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.