Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Losing My Texts and No Text Notifications

I'm having an issue with the messages app. It started when I had a very old 5c; whenever I swiped up and out of the app, it would delete all of my conversations. I would be able to see everyone I was texting, but none of the conversations. I also never got any notifications when I received a new text.

Recently I got the Iphone X, and I'd hoped that the problem would be fixed. It did not. In fact, it's worse; I no longer see even the people I was originally texting. I have done everything; backed it up, reset the phone, updated to newest ios, and nothing seems to be working. Does someone know what's going on?

I've seen that other people have had this issue as well, but I have not seen how they have actually fixed it.....

iPhone X, iOS 12

Posted on Jun 1, 2019 11:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2019 10:45 AM

Hey Brea-R-B,

I see that you're having an issue with the Messages app that began on your old iPhone 5c that persists on your iPhone X. I'll be happy to help.

When you restored the iPhone X, did you restore it from a backup? If you've been using a backup, the issue may be within the backup that came over from the iPhone 5c. I recommend restoring the iPhone and setting it up as new to see if you still have trouble with the conversations in the Messages app.

Make sure you have a good backup of your device: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

When you are ready to restore and set up the iPhone as new, please follow this article: Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings

Keep us updated. Cheers!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 2, 2019 10:45 AM in response to Brea-R-B

Hey Brea-R-B,

I see that you're having an issue with the Messages app that began on your old iPhone 5c that persists on your iPhone X. I'll be happy to help.

When you restored the iPhone X, did you restore it from a backup? If you've been using a backup, the issue may be within the backup that came over from the iPhone 5c. I recommend restoring the iPhone and setting it up as new to see if you still have trouble with the conversations in the Messages app.

Make sure you have a good backup of your device: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

When you are ready to restore and set up the iPhone as new, please follow this article: Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings

Keep us updated. Cheers!

Losing My Texts and No Text Notifications

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.