Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Delete songs from iTunes library

Hi

just signed up for iTunes Match running a MacBook Pro 2015 as my main source of music.

Its gone through all the initial matching process and completed the uploads.

When it comes to deleting songs from iTunes though the only option that comes up is to to delete from iCloud library and all my other devices. I don’t want to do that. Just remove local songs from the MacBook and associated iTunes library and leave them in the cloud.

Tried option delete and the only options is still to delete from iCloud library.

Any ideas?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 2, 2019 2:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2019 8:46 AM

There should be a Remove Download option in the context menu. Having said that I would not delete your original copies of files unless you have copies in a backup that they could be retrieved from if you were to delete the cloud copy in error.

tt2

Similar questions

5 replies

Jun 3, 2019 8:07 AM in response to Made in Wales

Hi Made in Wales,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities. I see you have a question about iTunes Match.

To confirm, you've uploaded the contents of your library to iTunes Match/iCloud Music Library, and when you delete a song from your Mac, you're seeing the prompt that the song will be deleted from the iCloud Music Library, correct?

Do you have a cloud icon next to these songs? If so, that would mean the songs are not downloaded to your device at this time, and the alert you see would be normal. For reference, this has some great information About iCloud Music Library icons and status.

I hope I've answered your question. Take care.

Jun 3, 2019 2:22 PM in response to rose_10

Thanks Sarah. There wasn’t a cloud icon next to any of the songs. Just the status that they were matched, upload or purchased. When deleting them it was deleting the iCloud and local iTunes song completely.

As below remove download was the option I needed to just remove the local file. That then generated the cloud icon and allowed me to download a copy.

thanks for taking the time out to help.

Delete songs from iTunes library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.