Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Delete music from library and local hard drive

Hi,

I keep my audio collection on local hard drive. I recently signed up for apple music and my hole library uploaded to the iCloud.

Yesterday I needed to remove a couple of albums. I connected my local HD to the laptop, right-click on album and press "Delete for Library". After that, I understood that album deleted only from iTunes library and don't delete from local drive.

Today I called Apple Support and the guy told me that's alright! This is how iTunes works with Apple Music. He told me that I need 1) delete a song from the library in iTunes and 2) find and delete a song from hard drive, and then the song removed from both.

My question to the community. If you need delete song from iTunes and from hard drive, how do you do that? I mean, when I click "delete from library" I'd like to delete the song from library and hard drive in one click.

I can do a video if someone needs this :)

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 9, 2019 6:21 AM

Similar questions

9 replies

Jul 19, 2019 12:41 AM in response to Marco Klobas

yeah, but only when you don't use Apple Music... I already recognize that you can delete songs from iCloud library and local hard drive in two steps: 1) Delete song from iCloud 2) Delete song from Finder by hands.

So, I delete all music from iCloud, sign out from my Apple ID, add all music from local drive in iTunes, delete everything what I need and then, I think I will use Match...

Jul 20, 2019 4:06 PM in response to iLimberg

If you eject the drive then iTunes initially assumes the file is where it is supposed to be. That information is only updated when you attempt to access the track. If you don't repair the broken link but iCloud Music Library is active, then iTunes can switch to the cloud link so you could stream or download the track. Now when you delete it only the cloud link is removed as there is no longer an association with a local file. Even if you reconnected the drive at this point the file would be ignored.

tt2

Delete music from library and local hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.