Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Locked ipad

I have an old ipad that I purchased 6 or 7 years ago. My son set it up for me including choosing a password. Here is the problem. A couple of years ago my ipad updated and because I was unaware that you needed to be signed out of icloud before an update I was locked out of my device. I tried unsuccessfully to recover the password, but it has been long forgotten and honestly, I never knew it (my son honestly cant remember). I have since purchased a new ipad and would like to be able to use the old one for my kids. How do I go about opening up my old ipad when the only option I am being given is to enter my password? Also, I don't own an iPhone any longer :(

iPad

Posted on Jun 2, 2019 3:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2019 4:04 PM

I don't know where you ever got the impression you needed to signed out of iCloud to update your iPad. This is not fact.

If you know the Apple ID you used to set up the device and all you have done is forgot the password, the password can be reset. This link will help with that: If you forgot your Apple ID password - Apple Support

If you can't do this, go to your Apple Store Genius Bar for assistance. You MUST know the Apple ID at least for assistance. If you don't even know the Apple ID, the only hope you have is to find the original purchase receipt and take it with you to Apple. Without the original purchase receipt, you won't get any help from Apple and you'd need to recycle the device.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 2, 2019 4:04 PM in response to Annieoakey

I don't know where you ever got the impression you needed to signed out of iCloud to update your iPad. This is not fact.

If you know the Apple ID you used to set up the device and all you have done is forgot the password, the password can be reset. This link will help with that: If you forgot your Apple ID password - Apple Support

If you can't do this, go to your Apple Store Genius Bar for assistance. You MUST know the Apple ID at least for assistance. If you don't even know the Apple ID, the only hope you have is to find the original purchase receipt and take it with you to Apple. Without the original purchase receipt, you won't get any help from Apple and you'd need to recycle the device.

Locked ipad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.