Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Warning triangle when download fresh Photos library from icloud.

I have a very frustrating issue with apple photos library that I can't troubleshoot despite rebuilding the photos library and downloading from fresh icloud. If I take a photo from my iphone and share it to icloud to synch with my 2 other computers (1 macbook pro, 1 imac), every photo taken on my iphone shows up with the grey warning triangle whenever i double click the small image in the library to enlarge it on the imac... no issues on the macbook pro. anything taken via SLR and then uploaded is visible everywhere.

I assume this is a permissions issue somewhere between icloud and the imac - but it's very very frustrating.

as above, i've repaired, rebuilt and resynched with icloud to no avail.

any advice would be great !

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jun 3, 2019 2:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2019 9:14 AM

Which system version is running on your iMac?

If your iPhone is relatively new, it might be using the new High Efficiency formats HEIC and HEVC.

A Mac needs to be upgraded to Photos 3 on High Sierra or Photos 4.0 on Mojave to be able to process the new iPhone formats.

If your iMac is running an older system, have a look at this document on how to ensure, that the iPhone is using a more compatible format, see: Using HEIF or HEVC media on Apple devices - Apple Support

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 3, 2019 9:14 AM in response to jameslee88

Which system version is running on your iMac?

If your iPhone is relatively new, it might be using the new High Efficiency formats HEIC and HEVC.

A Mac needs to be upgraded to Photos 3 on High Sierra or Photos 4.0 on Mojave to be able to process the new iPhone formats.

If your iMac is running an older system, have a look at this document on how to ensure, that the iPhone is using a more compatible format, see: Using HEIF or HEVC media on Apple devices - Apple Support

Jun 4, 2019 10:13 AM in response to jameslee88

Then make sure, that the iPhone is taking the photos as JPEGS and not as HEIC images.

On your iPhone

1. Go to Settings > Camera.
  2. Tap Formats.
  3. Tap Most Compatible. This setting is available only on devices that can capture media in HEIF or HEVC format, and only when using iOS 11 or later.
  4. All new photos and videos will now use JPEG or H.264 format. To return to using the space-saving HEIF and HEVC formats, choose High Efficiency.

You can convert the photos with the warning triangle, that you already imported, with the online converter at https://heictojpg.com

Warning triangle when download fresh Photos library from icloud.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.