Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Seagate External Drive giving error code 36

I have a Seagate External Drive and cannot transfer certain files (mainly videos) to my mac laptop.

The error I get is:

"The Finder can't complete the operation because some data in "BGC Musical Play 2019 Highlights.mp4" can't be read or written. (Error code - 36)

I've gone on Google and followed a few tutorials on how to possibly solve this but nothing works.

I've installed the Paragon NTFS for Mac from Seagate and thought that would do it, but still no go.

Here's some info on my Seagate drive:

Anyone have any thoughts?

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 3, 2019 9:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 4, 2019 4:27 PM

Hi jcnvusa,

The reason why you're receiving the error message is because that drive is being used with Time Machine. To restore the data in question:

1. In the top menu bar, click on Time Machine, then select Enter Time Machine. Or, open Time Machine from Launchpad or in your Applications folder.
  2. Locate the data you wish to restore, select it, then click Restore.
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 4, 2019 4:27 PM in response to jcnvusa

Hi jcnvusa,

The reason why you're receiving the error message is because that drive is being used with Time Machine. To restore the data in question:

1. In the top menu bar, click on Time Machine, then select Enter Time Machine. Or, open Time Machine from Launchpad or in your Applications folder.
  2. Locate the data you wish to restore, select it, then click Restore.

Seagate External Drive giving error code 36

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.