Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

external hard drive on mac problem

Hello,

I have this new external hard drive, and it works fine with my mac at first(after i did some formattting!), After a while, i copied my movies to this external hard drive from my mac, and the copying is working, however when i play the video from this external hard drive, it cannot play!

then i try copying back my movies to my mac from this external hard drive cos i really want to watch the movie, and to my surprise the videos or movies cannot be copied from the external hard drive then the message below pop up:

The operation can’t be completed because one or more required items can’t be found.

(Error code -43)

pls assist, i really need to use this external hard drive for urgent matter.

thanks

MacBook Air 11", macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 29, 2019 7:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2019 8:18 AM

When you got the new external drive did you format it for macOS, open Disk Utility, click Vie in the menubar and select Show All Devices. Then in the sidebar you select the Disk not the Volume now click Erase, if you are just sharing this disk with Macs then Format it MacOS Extended (Journaled) and the Scheme should be GUID Partition Map. If you are to share it with a PCs and Macs then Format as ex-FAT and the Scheme should be set as Master Boot Record. Ignore any software that came with the drive, it usually gets in the way.

Error 43 usually flags up that the files are corrupted or have not been copied properly, this can occur when formatting has not been done correctly. Sometimes it can occur when a great many files occupying a large amount of space have been copied over at the same time, therefore it is often prudent to copy files over in smaller batches.

Hopefully you didn't delete the files from their original location, you could try running Disk Utility> First Aid to check the Disk and the Volume for errors, if errors are found run First Aid until it clears otherwise you will need to reformat.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 29, 2019 8:18 AM in response to bellytiina

When you got the new external drive did you format it for macOS, open Disk Utility, click Vie in the menubar and select Show All Devices. Then in the sidebar you select the Disk not the Volume now click Erase, if you are just sharing this disk with Macs then Format it MacOS Extended (Journaled) and the Scheme should be GUID Partition Map. If you are to share it with a PCs and Macs then Format as ex-FAT and the Scheme should be set as Master Boot Record. Ignore any software that came with the drive, it usually gets in the way.

Error 43 usually flags up that the files are corrupted or have not been copied properly, this can occur when formatting has not been done correctly. Sometimes it can occur when a great many files occupying a large amount of space have been copied over at the same time, therefore it is often prudent to copy files over in smaller batches.

Hopefully you didn't delete the files from their original location, you could try running Disk Utility> First Aid to check the Disk and the Volume for errors, if errors are found run First Aid until it clears otherwise you will need to reformat.

external hard drive on mac problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.