Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Book Pro 15 Inch Retina Display Backlight

The backlight for the screen of my mac stopped working so everything else still works fine, as I can connect it to a monitor but it's unable to function independently, I've tried all kinds of resets and am not sure about the 'backlight fuse switch' located on the logic board because the backlight for the keyboard still works. So unless these two backlights are controlled independently I am unsure how to fix this problem or even what the issue is.

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 5, 2019 7:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 5, 2019 8:11 AM

You do not say what exact Mac /model /year /s̵i̵z̵e̵ ̵/̵r̵e̵t̵i̵n̵a̵ /touchbar is this ???

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"—

https://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/

2 replies

Jun 5, 2019 5:05 PM in response to hjgclihvljh

Most likely the Display has failed, but you can first try reseating the LVDS cable if it is a pre-2016 model. You must be very careful since it is very easy to damage the connector on the cable as the connector end is very fragile and it can be very difficult to reconnect it on some laptops. I've rarely seen the backlight fuse fail on the Logic Board. If it is a 2016+ then you may qualify for this free repair program.

Mac Book Pro 15 Inch Retina Display Backlight

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.