Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari is saving clicked on links to my reading list, rather than opening them

Hey all

I just noticed today that Safari is saving clicked on links to my reading list, rather than opening them. The only way I can get it to open a link is the left click on it and select "open link in a new tab or window." Is there anything can do to fix this?

Thanks in advance for your help or advice.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.12

Posted on Jun 5, 2019 7:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 5, 2019 7:26 PM

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. Please post back on whether or not this worked. Also try the Safe Mode. Please post back on whether or not this worked.

Isolating an issue by using another user account 

Safe Mode - About

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply        Pastebin

Etrecheck – System Information

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 5, 2019 7:26 PM in response to michaelgraham2

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. Please post back on whether or not this worked. Also try the Safe Mode. Please post back on whether or not this worked.

Isolating an issue by using another user account 

Safe Mode - About

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply        Pastebin

Etrecheck – System Information

Jun 5, 2019 7:55 PM in response to Eric Root

Hey there

Just letting you know I restarted my computer and it seemed to take forever and a day. When it did finally restart it looks like to me it went to "Safe Mode" on its own, as I did nothing. I say this, as I saw "Safe Mode" listed on the screen somewhere. I am noticing that some programs such, as Malewarebytes did not load after restarting my computer. I have heard of "Safe Mode," but don't know much about it and I certainly don't know how to get into it on my own. Just wondering if my system software detected something wrong (bad) on my computer and that is why it went into "Safe Mode." Lastly would note that just before restarting my computer that my Apple Magic Mouse was misbehaving. For instance it would select multiple e-mail message in Mail, even when I did not prompt it to.

Thanks again for your help and advice.

Safari is saving clicked on links to my reading list, rather than opening them

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.