Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie 10 won't acknowledge a change to time and date in High Sierra

I don't know if this started with High Sierra or the previous OS, or the latest version of iMovie....but for some reason, when I ask it to adjust the date and time, it won't. Weirdly, sometimes it will, but other times not. This is very frustrating as I, like many, keep events in chronological order. But, if I add a clip later, even years later, iMovie sees the clip as having an origination date of when I imported the file. Previously, that was no big deal as iMovie would easily change the date. No longer.

I have tried using terminal, with mixed results. I've used the touch command and the setfile command. It actually does work as the "get info" window on my clips show it correctly. But, for some reason, iMovie continues to see a newer date.

Is there another hidden date/time stamp deeper that touch or setfile can't touch?

Is there some aspect of High Sierra that won't allow you to move the date to older dates? I think I read somewhere something that suggested that if the first "created date" was XXXX (like 2018), then you couldn't actually change the date to olderXXXX (like 2017).

Any ideas or suggestions would be so nice.

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 5, 2019 8:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2019 10:12 AM

Sometimes a corrupt preference can cause some features of iMovie to malfunction. Try opening iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and selecting to delete preferences from the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Now see if the time and date feature works properly.

-- Rich

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 6, 2019 10:12 AM in response to Carl Creasman2

Sometimes a corrupt preference can cause some features of iMovie to malfunction. Try opening iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and selecting to delete preferences from the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Now see if the time and date feature works properly.

-- Rich

iMovie 10 won't acknowledge a change to time and date in High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.