Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Opening iphone without Home Button

Hello,

I hope some of you can help me. I got an old iPhone from my friend because mine is crashed. The issue is that on her phone, the home button does not work. She had an assistive touch, but after I restored iPhone, the assistive touch was no longer there and I can not get into the iPhone. Instructions on internet are fine but everything suppose that you can actually get into the phone and set the assistive touch in settings. My question is if I can set it through iTunes or whatever? I am lost.

Thanks for tips.

iPhone 5s, iOS 12

Posted on Jun 7, 2019 1:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2019 2:55 AM

When you first try to set up the iPhone w/o a working Home button you will be stuck. But if you power it off and try again you are able to get to the home screen and not go through the rest of the first-time setup. Then you can then up a virtual home button with the assistive touch.

I've had to do this many times. It always takes me a couple minutes randomly figuring out what to click on the screen but if you play around you can definitely do it. You just can't do it the first time you power on. If you still can't get it to skip out of the setup, turn it off and try one more time.

You can use iTunes though on a computer to set up the assistive touch:

https://ngszekiat.com/activate-iphone-home-button-broken/

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 7, 2019 2:55 AM in response to evkpck

When you first try to set up the iPhone w/o a working Home button you will be stuck. But if you power it off and try again you are able to get to the home screen and not go through the rest of the first-time setup. Then you can then up a virtual home button with the assistive touch.

I've had to do this many times. It always takes me a couple minutes randomly figuring out what to click on the screen but if you play around you can definitely do it. You just can't do it the first time you power on. If you still can't get it to skip out of the setup, turn it off and try one more time.

You can use iTunes though on a computer to set up the assistive touch:

https://ngszekiat.com/activate-iphone-home-button-broken/

Opening iphone without Home Button

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.