Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why are the videos I receive from other Iphone users varied in size and clarity?

I have an Iphone 7plus. I recently did the newest update 12.3.1 and ever since I have been having issues with the videos I receive via text message. I believe its only an issue if the user sending me a video has an Iphone X. The videos are very small, almost thumbnail size, they don't get much bigger when actually clicking on it and the clarity if awful, the videos are not even viewable. Is there something in my settings that can help resolve this issue? Or is there a way for me to revert back to the previous version I was using?

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 12

Posted on Jun 7, 2019 8:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2019 12:19 PM

That would also have an impact. If you were just using MMS, which is the media function of SMS, which is a carrier function, those videos are always compressed for space, and always sent at a lower resolution.

9 replies

Jun 7, 2019 9:03 AM in response to BeeSandee

You cannot downgrade iOS. Apple does not provide a path to do that. As far as the quality of the videos you receive, that is determined by the sender, not you. If this seems to always come from the same sender, have them check their settings for taking video, and then sending it. If set for compression, it will have a definite effect on what you receive.

Jun 7, 2019 11:14 AM in response to BeeSandee

While there are settings in Camera for video quality, the balance are in Messages. In Camera, they can check and set the resolution for recording video there. When it comes to what is sent, that is done in Messages. They would need to check the setting for Low Quality Image Mode. Turning that on sends a lower quality image. It can also matter at times if you are on cellular data versus wi-fi when sending.

Jun 7, 2019 11:18 AM in response to BeeSandee

BeeSandee wrote:

The videos are very small, almost thumbnail size...

Video content within Messages can play directly within Messages (maybe this is your thumbnail size issue) or they can play full screen (which may be better resolution).

It sounds like you're tapping the Play icon and playing directly within Messages -- maybe tap anywhere else in the video thumbnail to bring it full-screen, then tap Play.

Jun 7, 2019 12:38 PM in response to BeeSandee

iMessage is Apple's messaging service, and works with data, not the cellular channel as SMS does. Your decision to use it can be based on your data use. It was originally designed to reduce phone charges for SMS, that used to be charged by the message in the past. Send as SMS is another Apple setting, and that is for use when you are attempting to send an iMessage to someone and they may not be available to receive on, maybe not connected to data at the time, and the phone will then send it as an SMS if the switch is on. MMS Messaging is for text messaging that have media attached, such as a photo or video. That setting will also expose the switch for Group messaging, and it has to do with how they are put together.

Why are the videos I receive from other Iphone users varied in size and clarity?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.