Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Couldn’t Restore Chat History Whatsapp

Hello Dear Users,

I have a problem with my icloud Back up. All my datas are back well (contacts, SMS, Apps...)

The only Problem is when I want to restore my whatsapp from my Back Up its telling impossible to restore.

I’ve done all the solutions advices on both apple and whatsapp websites help centers but no one worked.

I saw a lot of same issues on the apple forums also but nobody found the solution.

If you faced the same issues please let me know what you have done even if it was not a solution please let me know to don’t wait for nothing if it’s impossible to find a solution.

Please find Screenshots attached.

Thanks all.

iPhone SE, iOS 12

Posted on Jun 7, 2019 11:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 8, 2019 9:50 AM

Yes I contacted Apple assitance and they confirmed me that it’s a problem from the Icloud Back Up.

So there is no solution at all unfortunately I had to put whatsapp without the back up so I lost all my discussions and infos on whatsapp...

So finally to resume, Icloud back up is not really sure to restore all your data ...

For all the futur users who will read my post with the same Problem « couldn’t restore chat History » please don’t waste your time as there is 0 solution the only thing you have to do is to lost all your data on whatsapp.

Good Luck Guys

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 8, 2019 9:50 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

Yes I contacted Apple assitance and they confirmed me that it’s a problem from the Icloud Back Up.

So there is no solution at all unfortunately I had to put whatsapp without the back up so I lost all my discussions and infos on whatsapp...

So finally to resume, Icloud back up is not really sure to restore all your data ...

For all the futur users who will read my post with the same Problem « couldn’t restore chat History » please don’t waste your time as there is 0 solution the only thing you have to do is to lost all your data on whatsapp.

Good Luck Guys

Jun 8, 2019 6:41 AM in response to mounir244

I'm guessing the error contained a little more than impossible to restore. It also seems that your iCloud backup can restore, it is just the WhatsApp chat history that won't restore, is that correct? Given that I cannot read the language you have in the image, and that I cannot translate an image, I have to go by what you have typed in the question. Is the 24 May iCloud and WhatsApp backup the last you had made before you intended to restore the old phone? Do you still have the old phone?

If your iCloud backup will restore, then instead of taking advice from the WhatsApp website, I suggest you contact their support direct or send them an email for assistance. If your iCloud backup will not restore, what is the exact error message you receive.

Jun 8, 2019 10:17 AM in response to mounir244

I'm glad you got your answers. Understand, that not all backup systems are foolproof, and it seems that you experienced one time that it wasn't. I've used iTunes and iCloud backups multiple times over the course of my having an iPhone, and can only remember one instance where an iTunes backup was corrupt. It doesn't hurt every once in a while to test your backup by restoring a device to the latest backup. The other thing introduced to your certain instance here is WhatsApp, a 3rd party app trying to integrate with the iCloud backup. As you found, it may not always be reliable as well, but Apple cannot help with that issue. Good luck in the future.

Couldn’t Restore Chat History Whatsapp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.