Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I change password for my mac mail

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jun 7, 2019 2:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2019 2:52 PM

The Mac mail password is the same as that for iCloud, which is an Apple ID. So changing it will affect everything using that ID.

1. Before doing anything, turn off 'Find my iPhone/iPad/Mac' on any devices it's enabled on.

2. Sign out of iCloud on all your devices. On a Mac, System Preferences>iCloud and click 'Sign out'. On an iOS device, Settings>iCloud and click 'Delete account' (this will not delete the account from the server) or Sign out' as applicable. Your iCloud-synced data will disappear from your device. If offered the opportunity to save it on your Mac, don't.

3. Go to http://appleid.apple.com, sign in and click 'Password & Security' in the sidebar. Answer the security questions, if set, and then click 'Edit' next to the password field. Save.

4. Sign back in on all your devices. Your data will re-appear (give it time). You can now re-enable 'Find My...'.

5. I reiterate, before you start, turn off 'Find My...' or you will need the services of Support.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 7, 2019 2:52 PM in response to kgaynes19

The Mac mail password is the same as that for iCloud, which is an Apple ID. So changing it will affect everything using that ID.

1. Before doing anything, turn off 'Find my iPhone/iPad/Mac' on any devices it's enabled on.

2. Sign out of iCloud on all your devices. On a Mac, System Preferences>iCloud and click 'Sign out'. On an iOS device, Settings>iCloud and click 'Delete account' (this will not delete the account from the server) or Sign out' as applicable. Your iCloud-synced data will disappear from your device. If offered the opportunity to save it on your Mac, don't.

3. Go to http://appleid.apple.com, sign in and click 'Password & Security' in the sidebar. Answer the security questions, if set, and then click 'Edit' next to the password field. Save.

4. Sign back in on all your devices. Your data will re-appear (give it time). You can now re-enable 'Find My...'.

5. I reiterate, before you start, turn off 'Find My...' or you will need the services of Support.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.