Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple watch not recognizing text messages as read

Apple watch series 4 won't clear/mark as read the text notifications that are read on the iPhone. The only way it acknowledges one is if I manually read the message on the watch. There's no way of clearing the notifications either.

I've disconnected and reconnected the watch, restarted both watch and phone, and also changed the settings to customer, also had setting to mirror phone.

I'd honestly think this should be fixed easily by now and not be an issue with texts not sinking to the iCloud or something that someone mentioned back in 2018. Does apple have a fix for this or a fix coming soon?

Apple Watch Series 4, watchOS 5

Posted on Jun 7, 2019 3:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 10, 2019 5:09 AM

Unfortunately it doesn't help. The problem is all the text show as a badge number on the watch and not in the notification section. Meaning I can't clear the 99+ unread messages without opening each individual text on the watch even though they are already read on the phone. Again the only way it's gone away is unpairing the watch then repairing, which is not a fix or an answer to solving this issue.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 10, 2019 5:09 AM in response to julieda

Unfortunately it doesn't help. The problem is all the text show as a badge number on the watch and not in the notification section. Meaning I can't clear the 99+ unread messages without opening each individual text on the watch even though they are already read on the phone. Again the only way it's gone away is unpairing the watch then repairing, which is not a fix or an answer to solving this issue.

Apple watch not recognizing text messages as read

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.