Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Two Keyboard Questions

Just got a new iMac this week have two questions related to keyboard use.

First, what setting do I need to make so that the first letter in the first word of a sentence is automatically capitalized?

Second, I have several text replacements that I setup thru System Preferences, Keyboard, Text whereby two letters are replace by full words. When I try to use them in Mail, the two letters are not replaced with the words I specified. What else do I need to do in order to make this work?

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 9, 2019 12:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2019 1:47 PM

Joey C 2 wrote:

When I try to use them in Mail, the two letters are not replaced with the words I specified. What else do I need to do in order to make this work?

Have you gone to Edit > Substitutions and made sure that Text Replacement is checked?

14 replies

Jun 9, 2019 12:17 PM in response to Joey C 2

1) That is usually handled through individual app preferences, as in this older version of Word:

2) Not sure on this one but is the computer logged in through iCloud? When I bought a new Mac last fall my subs in the Keyboard prefs were all on my old computer which was extremely dead. However, when I checked on the new Mac, all my text subs appeared. It certainly seems that they were stored and shared through iCloud.

Jun 10, 2019 2:40 PM in response to Joey C 2

Finally solved the problem with first letter in a sentence not being capitalized in Mail! Needed an Apple Tech Supervisor to find the answer. Within Mail, type a few words and highlight them. Right click and go to Spelling and Grammar. Make sure two items are checked -- Check Spelling While Typing, and Correct Spelling Automatically.

Two Keyboard Questions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.