Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to transfer health data (such as Steps) to another iPhone

I have been having problems with my iPhone for a while so I have decided to totally erase my iPhone and reinstall all of my apps manually. That is, I will not be using the iCloud backup. I did this for my iPad and it worked pretty well. Data that were stored in cloud came back just fine. I just had to do a lot of username a password entering in third-party apps. For iCloud items such as messages and reminders, they came back OK.

When I do this for my iPhone I am wondering if all of my health data will come back. In iCloud section the settings app I have “Health” turned on. However, I am not sure if all of my health data will be moved over. For example, in the Health app if I look at sources, I have data from thee iPhones (I have owned three iPhones). That data includes walking + running distance, flights climbed and steps. This is the data that I don’t want to lose. Is that the data that is stored in the iCloud? If not, is there a way to export and import that data?

Thanks,

Mike

iPhone 6s, iOS 12

Posted on Jun 11, 2019 7:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2019 7:39 AM

If you have Health Data enabled under settings->your account->iCloud then when you setup the device again and sign into iCloud and enable that setting, your health data will sync back to the device. Since that data is being sync’d via iCloud, it is not part of an iCloud backup and should just sync back once you sign back into iCloud.

You can also manually backup your health data in an encrypted iTunes backup if you want the added security if a redundant backup of it.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 11, 2019 7:39 AM in response to MikeMcCollister

If you have Health Data enabled under settings->your account->iCloud then when you setup the device again and sign into iCloud and enable that setting, your health data will sync back to the device. Since that data is being sync’d via iCloud, it is not part of an iCloud backup and should just sync back once you sign back into iCloud.

You can also manually backup your health data in an encrypted iTunes backup if you want the added security if a redundant backup of it.

Jun 11, 2019 11:50 AM in response to Michael Black

Michael,

Thanks for the reply. I'm glad that the data will sync back to my phone.

I did some research and I looked in iPhone storage and in "Health" it states that it uses 11.1 MB of space. When I look under iCloud Manage Storage it shows that "Health" takes up 1.9 MB. That is a compression ratio of about 6:1 which is not unreasonable for text/number based data.

I exported the health data and emailed it to myself and the zip file is 1.1 MB and uncompressed it is about 19 MB.

Regards,

Mike

How to transfer health data (such as Steps) to another iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.