Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers-sort

on the same page i have 3 columns A-E, F-J, K-O with 5 cells in each. When i sort the first column in alphabetical order with relevant formulas in the remaining 4 cells...the other columns all change as well in a mixed up order. How do i Sort each column without the others arranging themselves?

Posted on Jun 12, 2019 12:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 16, 2019 12:08 AM

Hi Mark,

You could continue with your current layout, but separate the table into three tables, each with five columns.

As separate tables, each could then be sorted independently of the others.

Here's a mockup, using simple labels in column A. I've used a set of random numbers in the 'order' columns to provide a convenient means of 'de-sorting' the tables. You see them after some use. UK and Misc have become quite randomly ordered, but Continental is currently sorted on the content of the leftmost column.

Here is the same page after a quick sort of the UK section:

And one more trip to the column reference tabs for the Misc. section brings us to this:

To separate your single table into three independent tables:

• Click on the table to activate it and show the row and column reference tabs.
  • Click the tab for column F, then shift click on the tab for column O to add all columns from F to O to the selection.
  • With columns F through O selected, click and hold on the center of the tab for column F, pause until you see the selected columns 'rise' from the page, then drag right until the selected columns separate from the first five columns.
  • Release the mouse button to drop the new 10-column table onto the sheet.
  • Repeat, this time selecting the rightmost five columns of the 10 column section, then dragging those five right to form a third five column table.
  • Arrange the three tables on the page as I've done in the example above, leaving a small space between each pair.

Regards,

Barry

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 16, 2019 12:08 AM in response to markfrompulborough

Hi Mark,

You could continue with your current layout, but separate the table into three tables, each with five columns.

As separate tables, each could then be sorted independently of the others.

Here's a mockup, using simple labels in column A. I've used a set of random numbers in the 'order' columns to provide a convenient means of 'de-sorting' the tables. You see them after some use. UK and Misc have become quite randomly ordered, but Continental is currently sorted on the content of the leftmost column.

Here is the same page after a quick sort of the UK section:

And one more trip to the column reference tabs for the Misc. section brings us to this:

To separate your single table into three independent tables:

• Click on the table to activate it and show the row and column reference tabs.
  • Click the tab for column F, then shift click on the tab for column O to add all columns from F to O to the selection.
  • With columns F through O selected, click and hold on the center of the tab for column F, pause until you see the selected columns 'rise' from the page, then drag right until the selected columns separate from the first five columns.
  • Release the mouse button to drop the new 10-column table onto the sheet.
  • Repeat, this time selecting the rightmost five columns of the 10 column section, then dragging those five right to form a third five column table.
  • Arrange the three tables on the page as I've done in the example above, leaving a small space between each pair.

Regards,

Barry

Jun 15, 2019 10:43 PM in response to markfrompulborough

Hi Ian. Thank you for your assistance. Briefly, this form is not for customers, simply my referral/ordering form to make my orders to various suppliers via phone as i each day run down on supplies. I use the three headings to cut to the chase on UK cheese then Continental and then Misc for small retail purchases and Dairy. I have used this form (of mine) for ten yrs plus. The only problem now it seems is when i add or delete items they become out of alphabetically order therefore, a Sort is needed and there lies the problem. When i Sort one Heading the others all change too!

The one page was useful because it saved clutter and would stick on the wall for instant verification rather than 3 pages hanging droopy. So...I have taken your advice however, so as to Sort at the moment, but have three pages.

If i shrink to one page the fonts are tiny.

Jun 12, 2019 2:11 AM in response to markfrompulborough

A-E is 5 columns, F-J is 5 more columns, and K-O is yet 5 more columns. So you are dealing with 15 columns, not 3 columns.

When a table is sorted on a column each row stays intact. If you want different sorts for different columns then you can split your table into multiple tables and then sort.

A screen sheet and and explanation of the problem you are using Numbers to solve would help.

SG

Jun 14, 2019 1:27 AM in response to markfrompulborough

Hi Mark,

I didn't realise that you wanted to create an order/invoice (for each customer?).

The usual advice in this forum is to use the Charm of Numbers: several tables, each with its own purpose.

For example, you could arrange the items in a large table as I suggested, and use formulas to "pull" chosen items into a small table (order/invoice). Print the order. No need to print the whole list of items on offer.

Let's keep tweeting!

Regards,

Ian.

P.S. Numbers does not have "Print Selection". That is why we must use separate tables on separate Sheets (tabs) and print only the relevant Sheets. Ian.

Jun 15, 2019 11:45 PM in response to markfrompulborough

Hi Mark,

I see!

You can sort a range of columns separately if you copy them to another table, sort that table and copy back to the original table to overwrite the old list.

For example, copy columns F, G, H, I, J for CONTINENTAL, paste onto a blank part of the 'canvas' and sort that new table by column F.

One problem I foresee is that all the blank cells in column F will end up at the bottom. Or maybe that is what you want?

Regards,

Ian.

Jun 16, 2019 12:16 AM in response to markfrompulborough

Mark writes: "I get that but that is a bit old hat. The question lies, why does one table (5 columns) interfere with the others?"

You have a single table, with fifteen columns, not 'one table (5 columns) and two 'others'. One of the design considerations in Numbers is the use of several separate tables, which can be placed anywhere on a Sheet, each with a separate task. Separate your tables, as I've suggested above, and they will not 'interfere with each other'. Leave them joined together as one table, and there is no other table to interfere with.

Regards,

Barry

Numbers-sort

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.