Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

water damaged iPhone X

Hi guy, my iPhone got water damaged in Sri Lanka, it was in the water for couple seconds. It was working fine afterwards and i even made calls on it. Few hours later it died on me. My phone was purchased back home in Australia. There are no apple store in SL, when I took it to authorised dealers they refused to take my phone and fix it, they were saying since my phone is not from this region they are not authorised by apple to fix it ? I thought it was ridiculous, considering it is still an apple phone and i am happy to pay for it. is there any valid in what they are saying ? or are they just making it up just to because they can't be bothered. I wrote to apple and I not had a response yet. I have a mac, iPad and an iPhone and it is really frustrating when this happens.

iPhone X, iOS 12

Posted on Jun 12, 2019 2:39 AM

5 replies

Jun 12, 2019 5:31 AM in response to Ranger30

Yes, every iPhone warranty includes a clause that says service may be restricted to the country if original purchase. So any Apple store or Apple Authorized service center may refuse service for a device bought elsewhere. That is most usually the case when the only service option is a complete device replacement.

Legal - Hardware Warranties - Apple

Jun 12, 2019 2:52 AM in response to Ranger30

The frustration is understandable my friend. But the information they told you is essentially correct from what I know. The logic boards are actually different so the authorized provider could not get replacement parts from an iPhone w/ different internal hardware (your Australian iPhone) from Apple even if they wanted to. It's not a question of them not wanting to be bothered, I'm sure they would love to charge you for a repair, but they can't.

And this won't help you a lot at this point, but maybe some: in a humid climate like Sri Lanka you would not want to attempt to power on or charge your iPhone for a good 72 hours to be sure that all the moisture evaporated. I can see though if it was only for a few seconds not doing that (but that would be a mistake). In someplace like Australia, any water that leaked in would evaporate much quicker (such as in a day or so). That being said, at this point I strongly suggest (especially since it's not working anyway!) that you set your iPhone aside for a few days and cross your fingers.

Hopefully some moisture is simply creating a short circuit and once it evaporates it will turn out that no permanent electrical damage has been done. However, every time you turn it on/charge it/or try to use it you increase the chance that an electrical short will do permanent damage. You may want to consider getting a temporary generic phone and moving your Australian SIM card into that in the mean time.

If you do happen to have AppleCare+ accidental damage protection, you will be able to use that once you go back home. Otherwise, it's generally better to just buy a new iPhone or to use insurance versus getting it repaired if it still won't turn on after a few days. If you don't have AppleCare+ damage protection, and don't have insurance through your mobile carrier, then with water damage, typically getting it serviced costs about 80% as much as a new iPhone of the same model, and only gives you a 90-day warranty.

water damaged iPhone X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.