Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro 2011 15" colorful vertical lines and white screen of death

I opened my laptop this morning to lots of colorful vertical lines dancing across the screen. I tried to restart it but only got a white screen. I tried all of the restart options I could find but nothing worked. I got variations of vertical lines or green/grey/white screens. No apple logo within site.

Past modifications include replacing the hard drive with a 1TB SSD a few years ago, and within the last two years Apple replaced the graphics card.

Advice would be greatly appreciated. I would love to keep this machine working for a while yet, I don't have money to replace it.

Thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 12, 2019 5:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 12, 2019 9:32 AM

Ok... After I tried to run the hardware test I decided to try and run the disk utility again (restarting while holding down Command + R), just to see, and that magic apple logo appeared. There were no issues with the disk utility so I restarted the laptop and now everything appears to be fine. I have no idea what happened, but the issue is now resolved.

Thanks for the advice!

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 12, 2019 9:32 AM in response to AlanaAnne

Ok... After I tried to run the hardware test I decided to try and run the disk utility again (restarting while holding down Command + R), just to see, and that magic apple logo appeared. There were no issues with the disk utility so I restarted the laptop and now everything appears to be fine. I have no idea what happened, but the issue is now resolved.

Thanks for the advice!

Macbook Pro 2011 15" colorful vertical lines and white screen of death

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.