Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook pro late 2011 15-inch screen glitch

I have a macbook pro late 2011 15-inch and the screen is glitching like this (see picture). I can't boot into mac OS. While booting the screen is glitchy, after the line fills up the screen turns normal to white but It does nothing else only the fans are spinning at Its fastest. Sometimes It even turn off on himself. I can neither boot into recovery mode. I asked a friend who knows about this kind of things and he said the graphic card burned down? This maybe happened while being on windows 8 because my mac is hot while using It. Is there no way to switch to the other gpu(AMD)? Maybe the motherboard is damaged too? Maybe that's why some people actually can boot into mac OS and me not. I really want to use It because I have exams in 2 weeks and don't want to waist money If It can be fixed without replacement.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.12

Posted on May 14, 2021 10:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2021 12:12 AM

Hi AS024,

This is a hardware issue. Since your Mac is old, Apple or an AASP will not repair it. Unfortunately, you must buy a new Mac/replacement device.

You can see Apple Refurbished devices here for a discount: Certified Refurbished Products - Apple.

Since it also sounds like you're a student, you can see Apple Special Education Pricing: Education Pricing and Student Discounts - Education - Apple.

Cheers,

Jack

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 15, 2021 12:12 AM in response to AS024

Hi AS024,

This is a hardware issue. Since your Mac is old, Apple or an AASP will not repair it. Unfortunately, you must buy a new Mac/replacement device.

You can see Apple Refurbished devices here for a discount: Certified Refurbished Products - Apple.

Since it also sounds like you're a student, you can see Apple Special Education Pricing: Education Pricing and Student Discounts - Education - Apple.

Cheers,

Jack

Macbook pro late 2011 15-inch screen glitch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.