Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Downgrading on Apple 4k TV tvOS 13 Beta

Hey guys, I upgraded my Apple 4k TV to the tvOS 13 Beta using the beta profile. I want to revert back to tvOS 12. Is that possible if my device doesn't have a USB-C port?

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 13

Posted on Jun 12, 2019 1:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 12, 2019 2:22 PM

No. You can remove the profile, and wait for a non-beta release to update to when its available. But there is no way to downgrade it.

Also, as explained in the Beta enrollment, the Beta is confidential and cannot be discussed here and Apple offers no support for Beta versions. So you are on your own.

https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/faq

31 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 12, 2019 2:22 PM in response to _social_vibe_

No. You can remove the profile, and wait for a non-beta release to update to when its available. But there is no way to downgrade it.

Also, as explained in the Beta enrollment, the Beta is confidential and cannot be discussed here and Apple offers no support for Beta versions. So you are on your own.

https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/faq

Jul 31, 2019 7:48 AM in response to fruzzl

As per the terms of the Beta you agree to when joining, Apple is not obligated to provide any support for it. They release it as is, and you install it under this understanding.

If they downgraded for you, you were lucky, they are not required to do so.

If people want to install the beta they should be aware of the potential pitfalls of doing so. Apple already warns about the potential issues you may encounter in their FAQ: https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/faq

Nowhere does it say removing the beta from a 4K Tv is possible. They mention its possible to remove it from the 4th Gen since it can be connected to iTunes.

https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/legal

Jul 25, 2019 2:51 AM in response to Phil0124

To clarify, this procedure doesn’t work either. I followed this exactly and waited for 12.4 to be released. When selecting update it said I was up to date with tvOS 13. I then tried to restore and update at the advice of Apple which ultimately returned a message saying download was unavailable. Try again later...I tried many times since without luck. Apples advice was to take it to an Apple store for repair. This procedure of downgrading on a 4K doesn’t work as mentioned.

Make a service appointment.

Jul 25, 2019 10:47 AM in response to fruzzl

It is unlikely that Apple would be able to do anything different, since it isn't possible to downgrade from any OS.

The whole point of being in the beta program is to root out potential issues and give feedback to Apple as part of the process of making sure it is stable for the official release. It is never recommended to install it on a main (mission critical) device for that reason.

Jul 31, 2019 7:37 AM in response to Phil0124

Phil0124, thanks for the input. Spoke with many apple techs about this and advised to bring in to be downgraded. I understand the moral, however the frustration lies with apple. The information about downgrading from the beta on the 4k isn't published other than its possible. Even the techs tried through reseting and failed.

Apple needs to inform people of this if they intend to release beta's on this device.

Jul 31, 2019 8:19 AM in response to Phil0124

Phil,

I respectfully disagree. First off, Apple didn’t do me any favours by removing the beta for me. They attempted to uninstall it over the phone, later acknowledging it wasn’t possible until an update was issued. Having attempted after the update they suggested bringing in to correct it.

You are correct that it doesn’t mention reverting the 4K back from a beta. In fact it doesn’t mention that it’s impossible either. The disclaimer says nothing about it. Which is why I’m receiving full support from Apple.

Ive installed betas before and reverted if I chose to, understanding the rights. The fact remains the disclaimer is loose on the 4K version, which Apple acknowledged through support.

So, I wasn’t lucky getting help from Apple.

Jul 31, 2019 9:38 AM in response to fruzzl

Yes you were lucky. It makes it very clear that you can unenroll from the program but have to wait until the next release to remove the beta. Restoring will not remove it. Apple is not obligated to remove it and there is no official method for a user to do so nor is it possible to downgrade from a public version of TVOS.

The purpose for using beta software is for testing purposes and to help with the process of rooting out bugs. It is never recommended to install it on a main machine.

Jul 31, 2019 10:06 AM in response to vazandrew

Phil,

Please spare me with “you we’re lucky” tripe. I’ve explained my situation with Apple and they agree with me. It wasn’t luck.

They suggested the restore - not me. I explained this. They had other recommendations also which were unsuccessful.

Apple techs said it will revert to 12.4 when the update came out, provided the device was removed from the beta program. This never occurred.

I understand that it’s a test of the software. No need to lecture me on it professor. Why do you think I put it on.

I tested it and provided feedback as I always have.

Jul 31, 2019 10:26 AM in response to fruzzl

I am not Phil.

As already explained it will install the next release, not downgrade (which included 12.4).

You agree to the terms when you install it and when you have issues you need to provide feedback, however Apple is not responsible for anything that occurs and you are essentially on your own. You were the exception and not the norm, and Apple does turn most people away when they are running beta software. That is a fact.

It was clear you were running this on a machine you use daily, and not a test device. Thus, I was reiterating the recommendation.

If you don’t want to run into the same situation next time then I suggest you not run any further betas on your system. There is nothing further to discuss and you have also decided to attack instead of discuss this in a proper manner so please do not respond any further.

Jul 31, 2019 10:36 AM in response to vazandrew

Apologies, for calling you phil.

To be clear, I haven’t attacked anyone. I explained my situation and and it was resolved by Apple.

Perhaps, I may have explained my issue on here very clearly, causing confusion.

The problem was was corrected after speaking with Apple. I’m not on here to be lectured or told how lucky I am. If you're upset with my reaction to this than apologize.

Jul 31, 2019 10:51 AM in response to fruzzl

I suggest you read your post as it was very evident. There is no confusion. I was merely making you aware of the facts, and when Apple has turned away users as well as the fact that you are one of the only ones to report this result then that would constitute being lucky.

You can continue to install them but one time you may find that not to be the case, if you want to believe otherwise that is your choice.

This matter is closed and I don’t wish to continue on this debate as that is not what the forum is for.

Downgrading on Apple 4k TV tvOS 13 Beta

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.