You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reading an Internal MBP SSD Drive Externally

My mother recently fried her 2014ish Macbook Pro with a cup of coffee. She took it in for service and it was not repairable, so she replaced it. I have opened the old machine up and removed the 512gb SSD drive and want to see A - if it has content on it that was not in my mother's last backup (a couple of months ago) and B- if it is usable as en external drive. I have done this before with tradition disk drives, but not an SSD, so I need some guidance on how to determine the right external enclosure. Can any assist?

Thank you.

Posted on Jun 14, 2019 6:16 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 14, 2019 6:31 AM

Since Apple uses a proprietary SSD you will need to purchase one of the OWC Envoy enclosures. You need to match the exact model of the laptop to one of these enclosures as Apple changed the SSD design multiple times.

You can get the exact model of the laptop by entering the serial number here or here. You can find the serial number on the Bottom Case of the laptop. You may need a magnifier to read it.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 14, 2019 6:31 AM in response to JWMjr

Since Apple uses a proprietary SSD you will need to purchase one of the OWC Envoy enclosures. You need to match the exact model of the laptop to one of these enclosures as Apple changed the SSD design multiple times.

You can get the exact model of the laptop by entering the serial number here or here. You can find the serial number on the Bottom Case of the laptop. You may need a magnifier to read it.

Reading an Internal MBP SSD Drive Externally

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.