Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages not saving conversations

A few weeks ago my late 2011 Macbook Pro running High Sierra 10.13.6 had an issue with Messages where it stopped working and would freeze anytime you tried to access anything in the application. I was able to fix this by deleting files out of Messages folder under Libraries. It worked perfectly for about 2 weeks. Now, while Messages works, it wont save any conversation history after a reboot. Any ideas?

On an unrelated note, it seems the volume of the system has decreased. I used to be able to set the volume around +/- 50%. Now it seems I have the volume set around 1-2 "squares" below max. I have a feeling it is hardware given the age of the system, but never hurts to ask.

Its probably time to upgrade to a new model, but this system has given me many years of reliable use.

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 14, 2019 10:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 14, 2019 1:07 PM

Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at bootup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode?

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

5 replies

Jun 15, 2019 10:22 AM in response to Lightngsvt

If it happens again try this...

https://www.apple.com/support/systemstatus/

Could be your ISP or DNS settings also.

System Preferences>Network, click on the little gear at the bottom next to the + & - icons, (unlock lock first if locked), choose Set Service Order.

The interface that connects to the Internet should be dragged to the top of the list.

Sys Prefs>Network Pref Pane, highlight Interface>Advanced button>DNS tab>little + icon.

Try putting these numbers in...

Apply.

Messages not saving conversations

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.