Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages App and Monterey 12.0.1

After installed Monterey 12.0.1 on my MacBook Pro (15 inch, 2016 2.0 GHz Quad-Core Intel i7), Messages simply will not open. When I click on the icon, nothing happens for a few seconds until the crash report appears. I've restarted my system and that hasn't helped. Is there an easy fix?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Nov 6, 2021 2:01 PM

9 replies

Nov 7, 2021 5:56 AM in response to Pat_Los_Gatos

Pat_Los_Gatos wrote:

After installed Monterey 12.0.1 on my MacBook Pro (15 inch, 2016 2.0 GHz Quad-Core Intel i7), Messages simply will not open. When I click on the icon, nothing happens for a few seconds until the crash report appears. I've restarted my system and that hasn't helped. Is there an easy fix?

There have been some glitches reported here...

First go straight to Applications folder and launch it from there, if it is a corrupt Dock icon or some such.

If no difference.

From Finder>Application>Messages.app

Control click and select "Show Package Contents".

>Contents>MacOS> see the Messages executable. Drag this to an open Terminal.app window and hit Enter/Return

See if your Messages.app opens immediately.

Quit Terminal.app

Quit Messages and try launching it normally.

If you can't turn on or sign in to iMessage or FaceTime - Apple ...

If you can't send or receive messages on your iPhone, iPad, or ...

Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app

Terminal User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

Jan 3, 2022 9:34 AM in response to Chaser200

Messages used to work for me with Monterey 12.0.1 but stoped working suddenly. When I follow the instructions in the referenced article https://mackeeper.com/blog/fix-macos-monterey-issues/ I have a few issues.

1) The 'Go' function in finder does not give me a proper dialog box. This is what it looks like.

2) When I navigate to the ~/Library/Application Support/ folder I do not see any AddressBook folder (which may be why the app is not working). This is what it looks like

Any suggestions?

Nov 7, 2021 3:27 PM in response to leroydouglas

Tried everything (including resetting NVRAM or PRAM) listed except "Delete the .plist file" because I could not find a file named "com.apple.ichat.plist" Searching for .plist in the library found a number of plist files. When I searched for iChat.plist nothing was returned. Same for com.apple.ichat.plist.

Any other possible solutions?

Messages App and Monterey 12.0.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.