Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages Stopped Working After Monterey - AddressBook didn't work

I tried deleting the ApplicationBook-v22.abcddb file and restarting my computer, but still to no avail.

I normally don't update my computer because stuff always breaks, but I upgraded from Catalina to Monterey today and Messages won't open. If I click it, it will bounce a few times, have the white dot next to it, but nothing happens.

I have to force quit the application because it shows "Application Not Responding."

Anyone have a solution?

Posted on Sep 30, 2022 11:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2022 2:37 AM

Part 1 of 2

With the Messages Application " fully closed ".

Hold the SHIFT key and then click the Messages icon in the Applications Folder

This is basically a Safe Launch of the Application.

Still issue with Messages -->>

1 - Restart in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

2 - Does the issue present in this mode ?

3 - Sometimes a Safe Boot followed by a Normal Boot will just put things right.

Part 2 of 2

Q - " AddressBook didn't work "

A - Details, context and some reliable and actionable information would help pinpoint what maybe the issue with Contacts Application

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 1, 2022 2:37 AM in response to TJFromUSA1

Part 1 of 2

With the Messages Application " fully closed ".

Hold the SHIFT key and then click the Messages icon in the Applications Folder

This is basically a Safe Launch of the Application.

Still issue with Messages -->>

1 - Restart in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

2 - Does the issue present in this mode ?

3 - Sometimes a Safe Boot followed by a Normal Boot will just put things right.

Part 2 of 2

Q - " AddressBook didn't work "

A - Details, context and some reliable and actionable information would help pinpoint what maybe the issue with Contacts Application

Oct 6, 2022 1:31 AM in response to TJFromUSA1

What actions has the user ( you) taken to fix this issue ?

After all,  we do not what to suggest possible solutions for what has already been attempted by the User 

Understand, we are all working Remotely from all around the world. 

Therefore, we do not have the On-Hands experience the User ( you ) has with this computer.

Reliable , accurate, details and context will really help to pinpoint a possible solution.

Messages Stopped Working After Monterey - AddressBook didn't work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.