Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie crashing when sharing/saving

Hello everyone. I am hoping someone is able to help me, as I have been working on this issue for hours. I created an iMovie that is about 8 mins in length, and it contains videos, photos, and songs. Every time I try to share/save it, no matter which method, iMovie crashes. I have read numerous posts but do not understand the technological lingo, and also watched a number of video tutorials to no avail. I am scared my movie is going to delete. Any help at all would be appreciated, thank you!

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 16, 2019 12:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 16, 2019 2:18 AM

HI,

Crashing can be caused by a number of things. Try some of the troubleshooting methods below to see if you can solve the problem.

Assuming that you are using iMovie 10, try opening iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your project. Now see if you can share without crashing.

If the above doesn't work, try doing an Edit/Select All, Edit/Copy of the media in your project and then Edit/Paste it into a newly created project. See if you can share from the new project.

If still no luck, try booting up in Safe Mode (see Finder menu for instructions) and, after everything loads, immediately shut down and reboot in normal mode. See if that cures it.

If still having the crashing, it is possible that there is some corruption in your project that is causing it. Try scrolling slowly through your project, looking for white flashes, black frames, artifacts and any other evidence of corruption. If you find any, cut them out of the project. Then see if you can share out.

-- Rich

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 16, 2019 2:18 AM in response to jjmom117

HI,

Crashing can be caused by a number of things. Try some of the troubleshooting methods below to see if you can solve the problem.

Assuming that you are using iMovie 10, try opening iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your project. Now see if you can share without crashing.

If the above doesn't work, try doing an Edit/Select All, Edit/Copy of the media in your project and then Edit/Paste it into a newly created project. See if you can share from the new project.

If still no luck, try booting up in Safe Mode (see Finder menu for instructions) and, after everything loads, immediately shut down and reboot in normal mode. See if that cures it.

If still having the crashing, it is possible that there is some corruption in your project that is causing it. Try scrolling slowly through your project, looking for white flashes, black frames, artifacts and any other evidence of corruption. If you find any, cut them out of the project. Then see if you can share out.

-- Rich

iMovie crashing when sharing/saving

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.