Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

(Teacher needs help again) iMovie just stopped exporting my movies. Any of them...

Hello, 

I've been using/learning iMovie in order to create online classes for my students because of COVID19. Everything has been working fine until this morning. 

iMovie just won't export a file. Any from any movies

I've created and exported about 30 videos thus far and I understand the basics. But now, when I select all my project clips and select the "Share - File..." option and hit "OK", nothing happens. No error messages, nothing. The little pie-chart progress indicator flashes for a fraction of a second before disappearing for good. The application doesn't bug or freeze (as I can keep working on the video or move to other projects), it just doesn't export the file. 

I also can't export any of the videos it previously exported in the last few days and weeks. Nor will it export and brand new video. 

I'm on 10.13 and iMovie 10.1.6 (and I can't upgrade). 

Thanks. 

P.S. The only change I made to the computer since yesterday is that I installed iOS 14 on my ipod touch. I can't imagine why it would change anything for iMovie, but nothing else changed.

Mac Pro, macOS 10.13

Posted on Sep 21, 2020 1:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2020 8:30 AM

The CompressorKit error code has come up quite frequently on this forum. It is a stubborn issue. Apparently it is caused by an iTunes update that implants 64bit architecture in the library. However, this would be an update to the Mac. I don't know if the same issue happens with iTunes updates on an iOS device.

I have heard, but not personally confirmed, that Apple has fixed the problem with a supplemental update to the Mac OS. 

So you might want to check with the online app store. 

If the above is not the case, then the status of this issue is as follows:  No universal fix, although lately users with the problem have been able to fix it by reinstalling/updating/upgrading iMovie and, if necessary, the operating system

to Catalina.  Also sometimes successful is starting up in Safe Mode (see Finder menu for instructions) and then after everything loads immediately shutting down and rebooting in normal mode. Recently there has been a breakthrough on this issue, discovered by nicocaro, who posted a solution on this forum. Below is a link to the thread where he describes how to solve the problem by removing a 64bit architecture from an iTunes update.  Other posters have successfully tried the solution. It seems that updating iTunes may cause iMovie to exhibit the CompressorKit:Error by implanting a 64bit architecture in the system library, that conflicts with an older version of iMovie. That would explain why upgrading to 64bit Catalina and current version of iMovie has solved it for some posters here.  Upgrading to Catalina, however, would disable all older 32bit applications that would be no longer supported. Some legacy media may not play in iMovie, either, and would need to be converted.

Here's the link to nicocaro's solution:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251266351

And here as well:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251352619

Here's another link, though older, that describes what others have tried

with the Compressor Kit Error:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8265338

There may be some proposed solutions in the above link that will work for

you.

All else failing, try calling Apple Support. The techs there are very savvy

and also have the capability of remotely accessing your computer. Click on the

Contact Support item in the upper right hand corner of this screen and navigate

to a place where you can provide your telephone number so that Apple Support

can call you back. I think that the file path is Contact Support/Mac

OS/Applications/iMovie.

Good luck with this.

If you have time, post back with your results, as it may assist others who

have this perplexing issue, and will contribute to our data base.

-- Rich

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2020 8:30 AM in response to Loa

The CompressorKit error code has come up quite frequently on this forum. It is a stubborn issue. Apparently it is caused by an iTunes update that implants 64bit architecture in the library. However, this would be an update to the Mac. I don't know if the same issue happens with iTunes updates on an iOS device.

I have heard, but not personally confirmed, that Apple has fixed the problem with a supplemental update to the Mac OS. 

So you might want to check with the online app store. 

If the above is not the case, then the status of this issue is as follows:  No universal fix, although lately users with the problem have been able to fix it by reinstalling/updating/upgrading iMovie and, if necessary, the operating system

to Catalina.  Also sometimes successful is starting up in Safe Mode (see Finder menu for instructions) and then after everything loads immediately shutting down and rebooting in normal mode. Recently there has been a breakthrough on this issue, discovered by nicocaro, who posted a solution on this forum. Below is a link to the thread where he describes how to solve the problem by removing a 64bit architecture from an iTunes update.  Other posters have successfully tried the solution. It seems that updating iTunes may cause iMovie to exhibit the CompressorKit:Error by implanting a 64bit architecture in the system library, that conflicts with an older version of iMovie. That would explain why upgrading to 64bit Catalina and current version of iMovie has solved it for some posters here.  Upgrading to Catalina, however, would disable all older 32bit applications that would be no longer supported. Some legacy media may not play in iMovie, either, and would need to be converted.

Here's the link to nicocaro's solution:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251266351

And here as well:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251352619

Here's another link, though older, that describes what others have tried

with the Compressor Kit Error:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8265338

There may be some proposed solutions in the above link that will work for

you.

All else failing, try calling Apple Support. The techs there are very savvy

and also have the capability of remotely accessing your computer. Click on the

Contact Support item in the upper right hand corner of this screen and navigate

to a place where you can provide your telephone number so that Apple Support

can call you back. I think that the file path is Contact Support/Mac

OS/Applications/iMovie.

Good luck with this.

If you have time, post back with your results, as it may assist others who

have this perplexing issue, and will contribute to our data base.

-- Rich

Sep 21, 2020 2:25 PM in response to Loa

Hi, Loa,

Sometimes a corrupt preference can cause export problems. Try deleting preferences. Open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen

your old library to get back to your projects. Now see if you can share out a movie.

-- Rich

Sep 22, 2020 11:19 AM in response to Rich839

Thank you so much!!!

It was indeed the ****** iTunes update to allow my itunes to "speak" with my recently upgraded iOS 14 iPod Touch.

It was a bit of a pain to switch the private framework, but now iMovie is working flawlessly!

Of course, iTunes no longer recognizes my iOS 14 iPod Touch. Either I have to find a way to bring it back to iOS 13, or learn to sync without plugging it physically through USB.

Thanks!

(Teacher needs help again) iMovie just stopped exporting my movies. Any of them...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.