Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Read/Unread Mail

I have several devices which utilize the same Apple ID, including 2 iMacs. One of the iMacs I rarely use for mail except to download emailed attachments on occasion. The problem is, every time I open Mail on that iMac, it automatically marks all emails as unread on all other devices. This doesn't happen from any other device. I can download emails on my iPhone and if there are other emails already downloaded on another device, they will remain as they are. Can anyone tell me what might be happening here?

Thanks!

Jeff

Posted on Jun 16, 2019 10:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2019 10:01 AM

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for coming to Apple Support Communities for help with your Mail app today. It sounds like your messages get marked as unread on all other devices when you open the Mail app on your iMac.

Have you checked to see if all Mail Preferences and Rules are the same as the other iMac Mail app that doesn't do this?

Have you tried removing the Mail account yet and then restarting and adding it back to see if the issue continues? Add or remove email accounts in Mail on Mac.

You can also isolate the issue to your user account or system-wide by testing Mail in a new user account. Here's how: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

Have a fantastic day!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 17, 2019 10:01 AM in response to jeffbartelt

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for coming to Apple Support Communities for help with your Mail app today. It sounds like your messages get marked as unread on all other devices when you open the Mail app on your iMac.

Have you checked to see if all Mail Preferences and Rules are the same as the other iMac Mail app that doesn't do this?

Have you tried removing the Mail account yet and then restarting and adding it back to see if the issue continues? Add or remove email accounts in Mail on Mac.

You can also isolate the issue to your user account or system-wide by testing Mail in a new user account. Here's how: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

Have a fantastic day!

Read/Unread Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.