Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Very old Mac. How do I update software?

I have an old MacBook with OS X Yosemite version 10.10.5. I want to update the software on it but I think because it is so outdated it won’t let me connect to the App Store. Can any advise on how to update the software??

Thanks!

MacBook

Posted on Jun 17, 2019 10:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 20, 2019 7:03 AM

Agree that we need more details on your puter.

If you have been running Yosemite then go to updates and see what is there... it will tell you what you can update to and allow you to download it. Or, like in my case, it will give you an error when you try to go too high.

I have a late 2009 MBP and run Yosemite on it with a partition that uses the latest El Capitan... that is the highest I can go in the OS' unless I buy a new MBP... which Apple has screwed us faithful users that do not need nor want to upgrade by slowly pushing us away. Sounds just like a Bill Gates scenario with Windows... sad.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 20, 2019 7:03 AM in response to Helpveryoldmac

Agree that we need more details on your puter.

If you have been running Yosemite then go to updates and see what is there... it will tell you what you can update to and allow you to download it. Or, like in my case, it will give you an error when you try to go too high.

I have a late 2009 MBP and run Yosemite on it with a partition that uses the latest El Capitan... that is the highest I can go in the OS' unless I buy a new MBP... which Apple has screwed us faithful users that do not need nor want to upgrade by slowly pushing us away. Sounds just like a Bill Gates scenario with Windows... sad.

Jun 18, 2019 8:45 AM in response to Helpveryoldmac

Why can't you connect with the App Store? Error message(s)? If you boot into another admin account, can you connect?

Check the computer requirements shown in each link to see if your computer is capable of running that OS version.

How to upgrade to macOS Mojave - Apple Support

How to get macOS High Sierra   

Sierra download

You can try to download it at the link below. If it won't let you, then your only options are to upgrade to Sierra/High Sierra/Mojave or find an older computer where you can download it using your Apple ID.

El Capitan

Check to make sure your applications are compatible. .       

Application Compatibility

El Capitan 10.11 Compatibility information 

macOS Sierra 10.12: Compatible Apps

Also check to make sure there is a compatible driver for your printer.

Do a backup before installing, preferable 2 backups on 2 different drives.

Jun 20, 2019 6:27 AM in response to Helpveryoldmac

I would suggest to download and install El Capitan - that will allow you to upgrade to latest available Mac OS compatible with your hardware convenient way via software update feature

follow https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206886

also if you need to install from bootable media (no system installed)

you might want to follow https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

Very old Mac. How do I update software?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.