Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does DirectX work in BootCamp?

A few years ago I installed Windows 8.1 on my Mac Pro cylinder so I could play games that weren't available on macOS. At the time, I was able to run modern 3D games through Steam with no trouble. I would periodically get this error prompt saying "You are running an older version of your GPU display driver which could cause issues," but then I just dismissed the prompt and the game would always run fine.

Then I upgraded to Windows 10, and that's when the problems started. After updating, every time I tried to play a game, I'd get this message saying "A problem has occurred with your display driver. Your system may not have enough resources to run the game at the at the selected settings. You can retry using the same settings, or adjust them to lower settings. Make sure you have the latest drivers for your video hardware, and try rebooting your system to help clear up any issues."

Anyway, I eventually discovered that I could get my games to run if I went into the game options and disabled the "Use DirectX" option, but I'm wondering if disabling DirectX will always work for every game. Is there a better solution? I was just about to buy an Oculus Rift, but now I'm a bit gun shy about investing any more into my BootCamp gaming rig. Is this just a matter of finding the right driver, or is something else wrong? I thought the BootCamp helper app was supposed to handle all that..?

I'd be grateful for some advice!

Mac Pro

Posted on Jun 17, 2019 6:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2019 6:36 PM

Take a look at Update AMD graphics drivers for Windows in Boot Camp - Apple Support. You can also look at bootcampdrivers.com.

Similar questions

11 replies

Jun 29, 2019 7:56 PM in response to Loner T

Okay, I ran the AMD updater, and I'm happy to report that my games run perfectly now. I'm not getting any error messages and I can enable DirectX without issue. Thanks for your help Loner T!

The bad news is that I ran the Oculus compatibility tool, and it says no. I suspect this is one of those situations where it's not officially supported, but it will still work. I know I've heard of people using the Oculus in BootCamp with no problems. Still I don't want to buy one without getting confirmation from someone. So if anyone has tried it and would like to share their results, I'd really appreciate it! Or if anyone knows of any forums dedicated to gaming in BootCamp, please send me a link, thanks!

Jun 21, 2019 10:56 PM in response to Loner T

So I went to that "Update AMD graphics drivers" page, and it said that I should go to my "AMD Radeon Settings." But there's nothing like that on my Windows partition. I did find something called "AMD FirePro Control Center." Is that the same thing?

I'm on a 2013 MacPro, which is one of the computers listed there, so I'm curious why my system is different.

Does DirectX work in BootCamp?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.