Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iconservicesagent uses all the RAM and makes iMac very very slow

I've spend two days searching for a solution and finally found what caused the extraordinary behavior of a proces called Iconservicesagent.

In short, read this thread from GeorgeNic https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8088784?answerId=32566216022#32566216022

Symptoms: computer gets terribly slow. Mouse pointer is moving by fits and starts, window moving, opening and closing is delayed. Programs stop responding, etc.

In Activity monitor you see that Iconservicesagent memory usage is abnormaly high (in my case up to 80 Gb).

In my case it started every time i inserted a memory stick with 4 video files and opened it.

It could only be stopped by forced removing the stick and restarting the iMac.

After reading a lot of threads (seems that many people has this same issue, but not the right solution) and learning a lot about several Terminal commands, i found the thread of GeorgeNic.

Indeed, one of the files on the memory stick had a different icon. On an older iMac I removed the icon and placed it in my Mac again, opened it and finally, all was good again.

Like others I too wonder why Apple is so quiet about this bug. It is a bug, that's clear. A simple (custom?) icon can Iconservicesagent get stressed.

I post this 'question' hoping to help other people with it as Apple doesn't.

iMac 27", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 18, 2019 3:20 AM

Similar questions

There are no replies.

Iconservicesagent uses all the RAM and makes iMac very very slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.