Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Very sudden repetitive (short) screen freezes and unusual lagging

My Macbook Pro 2018 13' today in the morning suddenly started to have very weird issues.

Firstly I noticed that my screen appears to occasionally freeze for maybe 300-1000ms every 10-15sec.

During these freezes, any commands, typing by the keyboard etc works so I assumed it is solely a screen issue. But I had right when I noticed this also unusual long duration of starting and ending processes of applications which scares me as this sometimes happens slightly but definitely strongly increased that I noticed. My machine usually runs completely smoothly.

I restarted my Macbook (twice) and it did not change. Also I have 16GB Ram and at any point in time was between 5 and max 7GB used.

The issues seems to come and go as even while I'm typing this occasionally I get small freezes and sometimes it just goes away and everything runs smoothly within programs as well as if nothing ever happened.

It is bizarre, if somebody had this or knows what issue this could be please let me know. (Will go to the apple store as soon as possible to tell them and let them have a look as well).

MacBook Pro 13”, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 19, 2019 5:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2019 1:21 PM

The symptoms you are having are completely stereotypical of a failing hard drive. In your case, you have a 256gb SSD on your MacBook. Here is what you should do:

1. Create a Time Machine backup of your system onto an external USB hard drive. Virtually any troubleshooting or hardware solution requires wiping out or replacing your drive, so you'll want a backup presumably. Plus it's always a good idea to have means to create a backup, even without your current problem. Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support
  2. Test it in Safe Boot Mode (SHIFT key on power on for 30 seconds) to verify the problem still exists there. If I'm right, it will still be an issue there. Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support
  3. If there is an Apple Store near you, make a Genius Bar appointment. They can wipe your drive and put a fresh copy of macOS on there and see if that helps, and also they would check to see if they have a firmware update for your SSD that may fix it. If this doesn't fix it they would have to swap out the SSD for a new one under the 1-year warranty. Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple
  4. You can jump start this and cut to the chase by instead erasing the drive yourself and reinstalling macOS by going into Recovery Mode (COMMAND-S) on startup. Then you can verify this is still happening with a fresh copy of macOS. Again, if I'm right, it will still be an issue. About macOS Recovery - Apple Support
  5. If so, it does almost certainly require either an SSD replacement or a firmware update. If there's no Apple Store you can also take it to an Apple Authorized Service Provider under the warranty: https://locate.apple.com
  6. If you don't have any Apple Stores nor service providers nearby, it can be done via mail with Apple support. Get Support

Sorry this is happening my friend, but at least this should fall within the 1-year warranty. Let me know if you have any other questions or if it appears to be something other than what I describe.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 25, 2019 1:21 PM in response to Joneron

The symptoms you are having are completely stereotypical of a failing hard drive. In your case, you have a 256gb SSD on your MacBook. Here is what you should do:

1. Create a Time Machine backup of your system onto an external USB hard drive. Virtually any troubleshooting or hardware solution requires wiping out or replacing your drive, so you'll want a backup presumably. Plus it's always a good idea to have means to create a backup, even without your current problem. Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support
  2. Test it in Safe Boot Mode (SHIFT key on power on for 30 seconds) to verify the problem still exists there. If I'm right, it will still be an issue there. Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support
  3. If there is an Apple Store near you, make a Genius Bar appointment. They can wipe your drive and put a fresh copy of macOS on there and see if that helps, and also they would check to see if they have a firmware update for your SSD that may fix it. If this doesn't fix it they would have to swap out the SSD for a new one under the 1-year warranty. Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple
  4. You can jump start this and cut to the chase by instead erasing the drive yourself and reinstalling macOS by going into Recovery Mode (COMMAND-S) on startup. Then you can verify this is still happening with a fresh copy of macOS. Again, if I'm right, it will still be an issue. About macOS Recovery - Apple Support
  5. If so, it does almost certainly require either an SSD replacement or a firmware update. If there's no Apple Store you can also take it to an Apple Authorized Service Provider under the warranty: https://locate.apple.com
  6. If you don't have any Apple Stores nor service providers nearby, it can be done via mail with Apple support. Get Support

Sorry this is happening my friend, but at least this should fall within the 1-year warranty. Let me know if you have any other questions or if it appears to be something other than what I describe.

Jun 19, 2019 5:55 AM in response to Joneron

Please download and run Etrecheck  It is a diagnostic tool that's very useful to us in finding problems. Also it will give us further specs on your Mac. After it runs post the log file here. It will contain no personal information.

To post the log file click on share report and use the Page icon in your reply window. See video:

How to use the Add Text Feature When Post… - Apple Community

Jun 25, 2019 1:20 PM in response to Joneron

Your runtime is excellent and I don't see anything that jumps out at me as a cause for the screen freezes. It may have something to do with One Drive. Also I'm not in love with haxies like Bartender and Alfred.

But my personal preferences aside, the next step would be to start up in Safe Mode and see if happens there. If it runs as expected, then it is probably one or more of the Login Items causing it.

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

Very sudden repetitive (short) screen freezes and unusual lagging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.