Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Could Not Communicate With Server" error on iCloud login with Apple TV Gen 3

Hello. On trying to log into iCloud on my Apple TV gen 3, I get the error "Could Not Communicate With Server." I have searched for this and tried every solution and nothing is working. It used to work before.

Things I have tried:

• Restore the Apple TV
  • Append the verification code to the password (I get an incorrect password error)
  • Generate and use an app-specific password (I get an incorrect password error)

I am able to log into iTunes, just not iCloud. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm out of ideas.

Thanks!

Apple TV

Posted on Jun 19, 2019 9:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 19, 2019 10:41 AM

Just tried this process one more time... Didn't work! If I try it this way, the app says the password is incorrect.

"If you follow the instructions precisely it will work unless you are entering information incorrectly.

This procedure works best for most:

1. From an iPhone or iPad, go into "Settings" => click on the top bar with your name and "Apple ID, iCloud, iTunes & App Store".
  2. While still on iPhone or iPad, tap on "Password & Security", then tap on "Get Verification Code", LEAVE the supplied verification code visible.
  3. Go to the iTunes login on your AppleTV settings and start logging in.
  4. When it asks for your password, enter your password and add the verification code to the end of your password (no spaces: If your code is 123456 and your password is “ABC” you would enter “ABC123456”) BUT DO NOT HIT SUBMIT YET !!!
  5. Go back to your iPhone/iPad and tap on "OK" on the verification code to make it go away.
  6. Now go back to your AppleTV and submit the password."

21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 19, 2019 10:41 AM in response to abbieschenk

Just tried this process one more time... Didn't work! If I try it this way, the app says the password is incorrect.

"If you follow the instructions precisely it will work unless you are entering information incorrectly.

1. From an iPhone or iPad, go into "Settings" => click on the top bar with your name and "Apple ID, iCloud, iTunes & App Store".
  2. While still on iPhone or iPad, tap on "Password & Security", then tap on "Get Verification Code", LEAVE the supplied verification code visible.
  4. When it asks for your password, enter your password and add the verification code to the end of your password (no spaces: If your code is 123456 and your password is “ABC” you would enter “ABC123456”) BUT DO NOT HIT SUBMIT YET !!!
  5. Go back to your iPhone/iPad and tap on "OK" on the verification code to make it go away.

Jun 19, 2019 2:02 PM in response to abbieschenk

The listed procedure that you quote, can still fail by an expired code, because it is taking too long.

I would suggest to first enter the password (do not submit yet), then request a code, add the code to the password, then submit.

Some reports indicate the allotted time is just 30 seconds from receiving the code. Adding six digits should be feasible in that time frame.

Jul 23, 2019 9:02 PM in response to katisrad

"Could Not Communicate With Server" error on iCloud login with Apple TV Gen 3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.