You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screenshots are no longer being saved

I normally copy screenshots to my clipboard by doing shift-command-4, and then holding the control key as I trace around the area I want to grab. Perhaps for that reason, my Mac now assumes that's what I always want to do regardless if I hold down the control key.

Now I want to actually save files. So I do shift-command-4, and then I start tracing without touching the control key at all. When I finish tracing, I hear the camera sound indicating a screenshot has been taken. However, there is no such file. I've looked in desktop and downloads. I've done a search for "screen shot" but there are zero images. I've asked Siri to find me the most recent screenshots, but she finds nothing.

Has the method of saving a file with a screenshot been deprecated over all this time I've been copying them to the clipboard?

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 19, 2019 9:59 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 19, 2019 8:05 PM

I figured it out. My MBP has one of those control ribbon strippy things above the keyboard. I ignore that thing completely except for the inconvenient fact that I have to use it to change the volume and screen brightness.

Anyhow, it appears when you go into screenshot mode, that ribbon shows some options. And the option was set to save to clipboard every time, whether you hold down the cntl button or not. I changed it to save to Desktop and now all is well.

That's not a good user experience.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 19, 2019 8:05 PM in response to BDAqua

I figured it out. My MBP has one of those control ribbon strippy things above the keyboard. I ignore that thing completely except for the inconvenient fact that I have to use it to change the volume and screen brightness.

Anyhow, it appears when you go into screenshot mode, that ribbon shows some options. And the option was set to save to clipboard every time, whether you hold down the cntl button or not. I changed it to save to Desktop and now all is well.

That's not a good user experience.

Screenshots are no longer being saved

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.