Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Airporter

Does Apple no longer sell the Apple Airporter wifi?

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 19, 2019 4:47 PM

10 replies

Jun 19, 2019 5:22 PM in response to beattieb

I haven't shopped for one in quite a few years. I am still running two Airport Extreme Base Stations that pre-dated the Time Capsule.

When I was at a conference several years ago, they had set up Netgear Nighthawk routers (I think AC23xx) in each classroom for use by the class. The room was on the fourth floor.

I went to dinner across the street (four-lane with median) at street level. I picked up a full signal and had perfect WiFi from that base station. The signal went through thick "high-rise" window glass, and standard storefront glass without issue. That is what I intend on replacing my AEBS with when they die.

Jun 19, 2019 5:36 PM in response to beattieb

Xfinity can provide a combo Cable Modem, WiFi router if you want. As far as I know, they are going to charge you the same $13 a month whether it is just a cable modem or one of their WiFi based units. If you have the Xfinity X1 service, I think you can even get their mesh network pods to give coverage to more difficult areas of your home.

NOTE: I have an Xfinity cable modem/WiFi router, which I told Comcast to disable its router and WiFi features, and I personally use an eero mesh network router/WiFi device (I have a long house and a single WiFi access point does not cover it all).

Actually I'm getting close to buying my own DOCSIS 3.0 with VoIP cable modem to eliminate that $13/month feature from Comcast, as I'm not really using all the features of their cable modem.

The Netgear Nighthawk mentioned by Barney-15E is reported to be a very good router.

I would suggest reading the 2 web links I've provided as the reviews are good, and should give you an idea of what good routers are available as well as price.

If you do not have a super fast internet connection, and you home is not so big you need multiple access pointer, and you do not transfer huge amounts of data inside your house, you do not need to overspend for a WiFi router.

But if you have a complicate house to get good WiFi coverage, then you might want a Mesh network. Or if you have lots and lots of users sharing your WiFi, plus you have a very fast internet connection (say gigabit cable Xfinity serivce), then one of the higher end WiFi routes or mesh networks might be what you need.

Apple Airporter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.