Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I still use Airport Extreme?

My understanding is that AirPort Extreme has been discontinued. I'm still using it but is there a point where I'll have to replace it with a difference Wi-Fi system?

Posted on Aug 4, 2022 11:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2022 1:56 AM

I have retired my older 2004 AirPort Extreme 802.11g (Snow Dual Ethernet) because later macOS Airport Utility does not support it and I don't want to configure it via a hacked app or via an old PowerBook G4 running OS X 10.5.8. And it does not support 802.11n.

On the other hand I have extended the mobile router's coverage via Ethernetted 2011 AirPort Extreme 802.11n 5th Generation and it works OK with current gear.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 5, 2022 1:56 AM in response to BeachBoy53

I have retired my older 2004 AirPort Extreme 802.11g (Snow Dual Ethernet) because later macOS Airport Utility does not support it and I don't want to configure it via a hacked app or via an old PowerBook G4 running OS X 10.5.8. And it does not support 802.11n.

On the other hand I have extended the mobile router's coverage via Ethernetted 2011 AirPort Extreme 802.11n 5th Generation and it works OK with current gear.

Aug 5, 2022 12:06 AM in response to BeachBoy53

not unless it stops working

just because it's discontinued don't mean it will open all securely closed features to let all in

if a serious security issue show up they will likely release an update

the people who pursue finding exploits in internet equipment, usually spend their resources on very widespread equipment, apples routers never really had that big a market share I believe.

Aug 5, 2022 7:53 AM in response to BeachBoy53

The short answer is maybe.

A bit longer one would have you answering the following four questions:

1. Is my current networking hardware working?
  2. Does my current networking hardware meet all of my networking goals?
  3. Is network security important to me?
  4. Do I need to take advantage of newer networking technology?

Obviously, if you can answer "yes" to the first two, then there is no need to rush out to replace your AirPort Extreme base station. If you also answer "yes" to the third and/or fourth ones, then that would be a consideration to pursue a replacement.

... and, if you are considering a replacement, what you would replace it with will also depend on your "comfort level" with networking technology. ... and, by that, I mean do you want simple "set it and forget it" or the ability to "fine-tune" your network?

Can I still use Airport Extreme?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.