Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slideshow aspect ratio in Photos App

Hi,

When starting a slideshow in Photos (be it through albums, project, with or without scale to fit and no matter the theme) I always have black empty bars on the top and bottom of the slideshow. I've come to realise that, contrary to Finder for example, the Photos app run slideshows in 16:9 aspect ratio (standard widescreen format). However, my display in 2880x1800 so more like 16:10...

My question is: can I change a setting so that the slideshow displays in proper fullscreen and not in 16:9 with black bars?

Thanks for your help, much appreciated, I've been pulling my hair out over this :)

Fred

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.12

Posted on Jun 20, 2019 12:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 21, 2019 8:52 AM

There is no setting that I know of to change the aspect ratio of the Classic theme slideshow display, other than to edit-crop the photo with a custom aspect ratio setting using the edit feature of the Photos app. That will get rid of the black bars, but requires a bit of a zoom-in with loss of some of the display area of the photo. It would look like this in the slideshow, cropped at 18:10:

You could also try the Ken Burns theme that will give you some zooming capability. If you don't want the movement in the photos you could set the beginning and end of the Ken Burns effect at the same point, or take a screen shot and use the screen shot in a Classic theme slideshow.

-- Rich

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 21, 2019 8:52 AM in response to Tuperfred

There is no setting that I know of to change the aspect ratio of the Classic theme slideshow display, other than to edit-crop the photo with a custom aspect ratio setting using the edit feature of the Photos app. That will get rid of the black bars, but requires a bit of a zoom-in with loss of some of the display area of the photo. It would look like this in the slideshow, cropped at 18:10:

You could also try the Ken Burns theme that will give you some zooming capability. If you don't want the movement in the photos you could set the beginning and end of the Ken Burns effect at the same point, or take a screen shot and use the screen shot in a Classic theme slideshow.

-- Rich

Slideshow aspect ratio in Photos App

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.