Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slideshow in Photos 7 for Maverick does not fill the screen

Why is there a black border on top and bottom when I play a slideshow in Photos? I would expect it to fill the screen as completely as possible, and thus only leave space on the sides if the format dictates that. Instead it creates an ugly big black border all around the picture. Resolution of the photos are higher than the screen, so that's not it.

And I'm asking about the regular slideshow option, where you select a bunch of pictures and 'Play slideshow'

There's probably more options with the silly slideshow project feature, but that's way too cumbersome for just quickly wanting to look at a few photos fullscreen

MacBook Pro

Posted on Aug 24, 2022 8:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2022 10:05 AM

Correct. That's the way it works. The software designer must have thought it looked good.

It's just a convenience feature that you don't have to use if you don't like it. You can open the album, click Edit to get large images, and then swipe through the album, zooming on any pics that don't fill the screen.

Personally, I find the black background (border) of the "play slideshow" feature to be an attractive display. In the eyes of the beholder, of course. Nor do I see anything "silly" about the slideshow project feature. Don't see where you are coming from there. It's a quick and easy way to get a good slideshow product and export it as a movie. There are more complicated and feature laden slideshow apps out there, I am sure. You can even create a custom slideshow with iMovie.

-- Rich

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 24, 2022 10:05 AM in response to Kees de Wit

Correct. That's the way it works. The software designer must have thought it looked good.

It's just a convenience feature that you don't have to use if you don't like it. You can open the album, click Edit to get large images, and then swipe through the album, zooming on any pics that don't fill the screen.

Personally, I find the black background (border) of the "play slideshow" feature to be an attractive display. In the eyes of the beholder, of course. Nor do I see anything "silly" about the slideshow project feature. Don't see where you are coming from there. It's a quick and easy way to get a good slideshow product and export it as a movie. There are more complicated and feature laden slideshow apps out there, I am sure. You can even create a custom slideshow with iMovie.

-- Rich

Aug 24, 2022 10:13 AM in response to Kees de Wit

Photos scale the photo to the screen, pinning the largest size do there is nothing cropped off the other dimension.

If you want to get rid of the border crop the photo to the same size ratio as the screen so that what the largest side is pinned so is the smaller side. However, for portrait oriented photos that would remove most of the photo.

Aug 25, 2022 3:38 AM in response to Rich839

Hmm, having edit tools visible and having to manually swipe isn't quite the same thing to me. Also, what's nice about the slideshow feature in photos is that when playing it doesn't black out your other screens, unlike fullscreen app mode (Which is mostly useless to me for that very reason)

You must be right the designer thinking it looked good, they also added grey side strokes which, especially on an OLED screen, I also find less attractive.

If you are going to show a menu first every time instead of just starting a slideshow with the last used settings, why not add duration of slide and a fill screen option there, I can't imagine that would make it overwhelmingly confusing to people?

Slideshow in Photos 7 for Maverick does not fill the screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.