Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac alias files open in terminal, instead of launching

Some of my alias files no longer launch, but open in Terminal as shell scripts. Any idea of how to fix them?

Mac mini, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 20, 2019 6:06 PM

Similar questions

8 replies

Jun 21, 2019 10:10 AM in response to Old Toad

Thanks, new ones work fine.

I got a new Mac, migrated from my old one with Time Machine, and moved a lot of stuff around. Some days later I saw that some Alias files, not all, now showed up in Get Info as Unix Executables and opened in Terminal. Wen I Double-clicked on one, Terminal launched and displayed the following:

MAC:~ user$ /Users/user/Desktop/MS\ \(Mac\)/filename\

alias ; exit;

-bash: /Users/user/Desktop/MS (Mac)/filename

alias: cannot execute binary file

logout

Saving session...

...copying shared history...

...saving history...truncating history files...

...completed.

[Process completed]

Disk First Aid ran on all disks OK.

I've recreated the Alias files, but am curious as to what happened, and if is indicative of something serious.

Jun 21, 2019 5:13 PM in response to Dave_OC

Found the issue. The files had been backed up by CCC backup. II opened a ticket with them, and they replied

"If the backup task has support for extended attributes disabled, then it wouldn't be able to preserve the FinderInfo data associated with alias files" They also sent me a Drop-Script which fixed the broken files by flGGING IT AS BEING AN ALIAS.

Mac alias files open in terminal, instead of launching

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.