Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Access files stored on Time Machine

Hope someone can help.

I have recently swapped an underperforming iMac for a new one. Obviously, before tossing the older device, I back up everything to Time Machine.

I have not started to set up the new device and I know that you can use Migration Assistant to transfer files etc from Time Machine to the new iMac, but this is not possible at an individual file or folder level (as far as I can see). Initially, I want to be able to access a select number of folders on Time Machine but I get the message along the lines of 'you don't have access to the backed up files'.

Similarly, I can not access the folders on the back up device using Finder.

Am I wanting to do the impossible or is there a way.

Be gentle with me please, my technical knowledge is extremely limited.

Thanks....Chloe

Posted on Jun 20, 2019 8:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 21, 2019 9:25 AM

Time Machine is pretty much all or nothing when moving from an old to new Mac.

If you only want some files from the old Mac, then your best bet is to just copy those files to an external drive or make a clone of the old Mac's that you can use in Finder.

At this point some options include:

1. Migrating everything from the old Mac's Time Machine drive and then delete the unwanted files from the new Mac.
  2. Manually copy what you want from the old Mac to an external hard drive or flashdrive and move them to the new Mac.
  3. Connect the Mac's together in Target Disk Mode or by using Network Sharing and move over the files that you want.

Obviously 2 and 3 would require that the older Mac is still working.

For more on moving to a new Mac, see > How to move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 21, 2019 9:25 AM in response to Chloemitch

Time Machine is pretty much all or nothing when moving from an old to new Mac.

If you only want some files from the old Mac, then your best bet is to just copy those files to an external drive or make a clone of the old Mac's that you can use in Finder.

At this point some options include:

1. Migrating everything from the old Mac's Time Machine drive and then delete the unwanted files from the new Mac.
  2. Manually copy what you want from the old Mac to an external hard drive or flashdrive and move them to the new Mac.
  3. Connect the Mac's together in Target Disk Mode or by using Network Sharing and move over the files that you want.

Obviously 2 and 3 would require that the older Mac is still working.

For more on moving to a new Mac, see > How to move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

Jun 21, 2019 10:51 AM in response to Chloemitch

I want to be able to access a select number of folders on Time Machine but I get the message along the lines of 'you don't have access to the backed up files'.

Are you doing the above via the Finder or while in Time Machine? You should be able to enter Time Machine, find the latest backup of your desired folders and restore them. If your TM app can't access your TM drive try holding down the Option key and then access the TM menu:

If you have trouble accessing that drive in Time Machine look at Section E of Time Machine - Troubleshooting

Access files stored on Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.