Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB-C Cable for the External Monitor that also charges the MacBook

I am interested in connecting my MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2018, Thunderbolt 3 Ports) to an HP EliteDisplay E273q 27-inch Monitor through the USB-C to USB-C communication.

I believe, with this arrangement, the MacBook will be powered (charged) from the HP Monitor, and I can see the display on the HP Monitor at the same time.

Unfortunately, when I connect the USB-C port of the MacBook to the USB-C port of the monitor, the monitor does not detect any input.

I can use the monitor through the HDMI port using an adaptor. But then, I need another cable to power my MacBook.

Can someone help me?

MacBook Pro 13”, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 20, 2019 11:52 PM

Similar questions

7 replies

Jun 21, 2019 1:51 AM in response to KM_D

What is the video port on your monitor?

To determine this, Go Here: Port Types - Apple Support

You would use an adapter with the video port and a USB-C port. One end would plug into your Mac; on the other end, you would plug the Video Port in to it, and the USB-C power into it. The Mac would still charge, given USB-C is the port type used to charge your Mac.

A Couple Examples:

Jun 21, 2019 3:56 AM in response to KM_D

Multiport Adapters: As mentioned above. Did you try one one of the multiport adapters? Either one mentioned should work, being that HDMI and VGA are shown. So, if available try one.

Security Software: Disable it, as it might be restricting access to the port.

Detecting the Source:

• The Monitor: Change the input source for the video, and see if that solves this.
  • The Mac: Select the Monitor as an output device. Press Command+F2 to detect the displays. If the background is black, toggle between the devices, pressing Command+F1

Single Out you Mac: Plug in your monitor to another device, if an option, and see if it is operable. If it is operable on the other device, and not your Mac computer, then this would have to do with the Computer’s interoperability with the monitor. If it is not operable, then it’s the most likely monitor itself. With some monitors, it would have a sleep option (resulting in a dull-colored light when sleeping), so move the cursor over it.

Chatting with the Manufacturer (HP): Visit HP.com, and see if chatting is available. Or you could submit an eMail to HP, and wait for a reply.

Jul 1, 2019 4:04 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thanks, Grant!

You are spot on with your diagnosis.

1. The MacBook was running unusually hot when I was using the HDMI cable. I shifted to USB-C with DisplayPort, and the MacBook became cooler than before.
  2. As you have said, it was the USB-C cable that was the culprit. I had used the MacBook charging cable, and the HP Monitor would not detect the source. I changed the cable to USB-C 3.1 Gen 2, and the problem was solved. It is a shame that the charging cable supplied by Apple with the MacBook is not capable of handling data transfer.
  3. HP Monitor's power supply is not capable of charging the MacBook Pro. When connected through the USB-C cable, I do get a 'charging' indication on the menu bar icon, but the MacBook Pro, in reality, keeps discharging. The only way out was to use MacBook's charger separately. I wish I had checked HP Monitor's power delivery capabilities against the requirements of the MacBook Pro before ordering the Monitor.

I am now using a USB-C to DisplayPort cable for the Monitor, and Apple's charger with its USB-C cable to power the MacBook Pro.

Thank you again for your inputs.

Jun 21, 2019 2:54 AM in response to TheLittles

Thanks, TheLittles, for the quick response.

Following are the specifications of the video ports of the monitor (taken from the HP Spec Document):

===

VIDEO/OTHER INPUTS

Connector Types DisplayPort™ (1) DisplayPort™ 1.2

HDMI (1) HDMI 1.4

VGA (1) VGA

HDCP support Yes, HDMI, DisplayPort™, USB Type-C™

Audio N/A

USB Port USB Version 3.0 and USB Type-C™

Specifications

USB Ports (3 total) 2 downstream USB 3.0 ports and 1 USB Type-C™ upstream

Upstream ports (1) Rear USB Type-CTM 3.1 upstream

• DisplayPort 1.2 Video

• Power delivery up to 15 W (5V, 3A)

USB Type-C™ Transaction Speed - Maximum 5 GB/s

Specifications

Data & Video Power Delivery 15 W (5V, 3A)

===

I am trying to use the USB Type-CTM 3.1 upstream which is supposedly equipped with 'DisplayPort 1.2 Video' and 'Power delivery up to 15 W (5V, 3A).' I expect this single connection should have the video uploaded on the monitor and power delivery to the MacBook. However, this does not work. When connected, I get the MacBook powered through it, but the display won't show.

Appreciate your help.

Jun 22, 2019 6:15 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thanks, TheLittles. As mentioned in my original question, I am able to use the monitor with an HDMI cable and an Apple adaptor. No problem, there. I was wanting to use one USB-C cable to both connect the monitor, and to draw the power charge the MacBook Pro at the same time.

Based on the inputs from Grant Bennet-Alder, it seems that I cannot use this HP monitor to power my MacBook Pro due to its insufficient power. So, I will use a HDMI cable with the adaptor and additionally the standard charger that came with the MacBook to power it. Thank you, Grant!

Jun 22, 2019 7:37 AM in response to KM_D

Your Mac will run cooler and your screen refresh will be faster with reduced flicking if you use DisplayPort family. DisplayPort drops the 'heartbeat" refresh required for CRT display, while "legacy" interfaces like HDMI force your Mac to produce the entire screen data every 1/60 second, which must run fast and hot (and use up power) to keep up.

With your computer with USB-C ports, you can connect a DisplayPort adapter (best are rated "4K" or DisplayPort 1.2 capable) or use at third-party DisplayPort cable (with USB-C connector at each end) with similar specs.

--------

Remember that USB-C is the name of the connector, only, and you MUST apply Due Diligence to the capabilities of the cable. The days of "plug it in and it will work" are gone forever.

The classic counter-example is the Mac charging cable. It has power conductors and USB-2 (suitable for keyboard) only, no high-speed pathways at all. But it has USB-C connectors ate each end.

USB-C Cable for the External Monitor that also charges the MacBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.