Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook will not start, shows dead battery symbol.

Macbook 13 Inch

Model: A1502

Year: 2013

I plugin my macbook and then try power on and I just get the following symbol:

Then it just shuts itself down after a few seconds.

When plugged in the icon shows briefly but if unplugged then nothing will show.

The orange light is working on the charger:

I've tried reseting SMC by holding down shift-control-option and power button for 10 seconds but that didn't seem to do anything.

Anyone have any ideas or had this issue before? I don't want to spend heaps on fixing it as I've already brought a new macbook but want to fix it for a spare.

MacBook

Posted on Jun 22, 2019 4:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2019 4:36 PM

Hi ashbakernz,

It looks like you're having trouble with your Mac starting up, and I want to help.

The issue you're describing indicates there is some issue with the battery or charging mechanisms on your Mac, and it would be best at this time to have it assessed for service with Apple Support, or the nearest Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider.

Check out these links that can help you seek service:

Contact - Official Apple Support

Apple - Find Locations - Location Selector

Good luck!

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 22, 2019 4:36 PM in response to ashbakernz

Hi ashbakernz,

It looks like you're having trouble with your Mac starting up, and I want to help.

The issue you're describing indicates there is some issue with the battery or charging mechanisms on your Mac, and it would be best at this time to have it assessed for service with Apple Support, or the nearest Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider.

Check out these links that can help you seek service:

Contact - Official Apple Support

Apple - Find Locations - Location Selector

Good luck!

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

Jun 22, 2019 5:57 PM in response to ashbakernz

If you have left the laptop sitting plugged in and it still won't boot, then sometimes it is necessary to disconnect the battery and start it from the power adapter. Once the laptop boots, you need to reconnect the battery while the laptop is still powered on and let it charge at least 10% before you shut it down or unplug it. It is best to sit the laptop on its right side so you don't accidentally short out a circuit board on the bottom of the laptop while it is powered on without the bottom case.

Macbook will not start, shows dead battery symbol.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.