Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Final Cut Pro Trial

Where does it put your project so you can reopen it, and how can you back it up to an external hard drive, when using the trial version. I opened the library, but my timeline does not appear.

iMac 21.5" 4K, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 22, 2019 1:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2019 12:42 PM

Absolutely. Do not open backups except as recovery sources.

I would suggest you look at izzyvideo's basic YouTube for FCPX. Or Ripple Training has some free online material for basic instruction of working with the application.

Similar questions

7 replies

Jun 28, 2019 12:36 PM in response to EdMirza

So this left hand panel is now populated with multiple ‘backup’ libraries I guess of my project. Should I ‘close’ these libraries? as in the option in the second picture? For the minute I’m happy with the last edit I did. I’m guessing there’s a reason for this strange way it has of not giving you a ‘save’ option, so that you feel your work may have been lost everytime you close it.

Jun 22, 2019 1:44 PM in response to EdMirza

Open the library. Select the event you were working in. The project should be in there. Or select the library. Open the Smart Collections and look in the Projects smart collection. Post screenshots of what you see.

You can backup a library by copying it to another drive. Whether the media gets backed up depends on where you stored it.

Jun 28, 2019 12:18 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Ive now created a second project. It does not seem intuitive, opening up the last edit and timeline one has been working on. Do you mean open the library in the pane to the left of the FCPX interface itself rather than in the Mac finder?

I tried to open some of the ‘backups’, and I found I think my latest edit, but succeeded in creating a series of library copies for each back up I opened, taking up tonnes of disk space. Can I delete these safely?

To go back to my last edit: is this supposed done by browsing in the ‘event’ log to the left in FCPX itself. Doesn’t seem helpful they call them ‘events’...

Will see whether there’s anything helpful screenshot wise, thanks.

Jun 28, 2019 4:13 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Thank you. I think I’ve got the hang of it now. I sort of rushed in thinking it would work like GarageBand or something. But now I see projects are kept in a folder in the event. I see that you need to think carefully where you put your library, whether to start with a local folder with media and have it keep in place rather than import.

I think I understand I can delete the multiple libraries it created in my movies folder as they are just connected with opening up defunct backups.

I’ve been looking at YouTube videos.

Thanks for your time.

One thing I was trying to figure out was how to change media content or reduce resolution in compound clips as one relies on a heavy 4K film I imported much longer than the clip (and I’ve animated the clip). I guess the easiest workaround is to to a range export for that bit and just import that back into the project, then delete the 4K footage and compound clips.

I’ll check out the videos. Thanks.

Final Cut Pro Trial

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.