You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro stuck on white screen

Hi to everyone,

my Mac Pro [model A1186, 16 GB RAM, 500 GB brand-new Crucial SSD], after a fresh install from bootable USB with OS X Lion 10.7.5, stuck on white screen.

The only way to interact with him is the Single User Mode (start holding Shift).

Reset PRAM, reset SMC, change CR2032 battery (it doesn't know the right date), change the old 7200 rpm 500 GB Apple hard drive with a new SSD... doesn't work.

It boot only with Single User Mode.

When I launch the install from bootable USB everything's going OK.

At the first reboot I see the Apple Logo, then the mouse's cursor and the rainbow spinning wheel endlessly.

Any suggests? How can I resolve this situation?

It's so important for me because I want to resell the machine and I want that's in perfect condition.

Thank you in advance to all,

best regards

Marco

Posted on Jun 23, 2019 1:20 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2019 6:46 AM

It sounds like the graphics card is no longer working for accelerated graphics. These cards get quite hot (the reason for the large heat sink) and do not last forever.

To use this Mac, try a replacement graphics card.

Similar questions

30 replies

Jun 28, 2019 1:55 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Hi,

I've just ordered a brand-new Snow Leopard's DVD, as backup copy for difficult case like this.

I've formatted the 500 GB original Apple drive in 3 steps-writing zero, so I'm pretty sure to start from a blank situation.

I've installed Lion on this disk as external with a docking station with external power, to avoid any trouble.

I've also tested the first and the second board of ram individually, but the problem doesn't solved.

I've made some photo and I've see that the graphic card has probably 12 years (it came with the first configuration).

I've also see this little contact: do I have to add extra power, can be this the source of all problems?

I will test the RAM again with other software: I've made the same operations with my iMac 27" 2015, following the Apple Care support instructions.

Any suggest? Thanks for your kindly support

Jun 29, 2019 9:41 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Yes but I need 100% compatibility and modern cards, follow your link, cost a lot of dollars.

I can't spend 250 $ for a Mac Pro that, full working, it worth 270 € on eBay auction.

Anyway, like Jurassic Park said, life (and money) always find a way.

I found the exactly same card on eBay for 34 €, a decent price to test the Mac Pro and put my old Pro on the go like new.

I will publish more updates once I've received the card, I've paid with Paypal to avoid any trouble.

The seller sells it as full working and tested, so let's try if I can finally boot in normal mode.

Waiting to publish more detail, thank you all

Jun 23, 2019 3:13 PM in response to marcosb86

Have you tried fixing the date? A bad date can really cause lots of problems (though I am not sure whether or not it would specifically cause this issue). You can do this by launching Terminal in your bootable Recovery Utilities system you made. I also imagine you would be able to do this by starting in Single-User Mode as well:

https://bensmann.no/changing-system-date-from-terminal-os-x-recovery

I am wondering if your install even worked properly (maybe because of the bad date it did not?). Holding down SHIFT should take you into Safe Boot Mode and not Single-User Mode (that's COMMAND-S). If you are only getting tossed into Single User command-line mode by holding SHIFT that tells me you should fix the date, erase the hard drive, and try installing again.

However, all that aside, if that isn't the issue I think the issue might be using a new 6gb/s SATA3 SSD on a machine that only supports 3gb/s SATA2 SSD. I know with 2009/2010 MacBooks of that vintage as your Mac Pro desktop that some of them barf trying to use a modern SATA3 SSD drive and require a 3G SATA2 SSD drive to use an SSD. For example, if you have a regular SATA hard drive (non-SSD) laying around I would try a test install with that and I bet that would work fine.

You could try booting up in Verbose mode (COMMAND-V) and take a photo of the last few lines of that attempt so you can see what's underneath that Apple logo where things freeze. This would shed some light on the subject, but if it's not the date... I think it's your SATA3 SSD being incompatible.

Jun 24, 2019 1:42 PM in response to marcosb86

To be clear, did you have any problems before you did the SSD upgrade (and that's why you upgraded?) or was everything working fine and you just upgraded to the SSD for performance or space reasons?

Is it holding the date now that you fixed it that once, or does it keep on getting reset during every boot?

Have you tried unplugging everything (cards and peripherals) other than the essential devices (i.e. keyboard, mouse, GPU, ethernet). Have you upgraded any of the internal cards beyond what it came with originally?

I would try dropping the RAM to the bare minimum, aside from further reducing potential hardware issues, by simply changing the RAM (even for a single boot) and rebooting it, it will force the SMC to reset itself.

Does your model have the built-in hardware diagnostic? Try booting with the D key on power-on to see if it picks up any problems.

If all the above fails to help I would try switching any of your internal cards to use different slots to see if that helps.

I would also erase the drive again by temporarily changing the partition type to MBR & FAT32, making sure it makes the change, and then going back to change it to GUID & HFS+. By temporarily changing it in this fashion that will clear out some low-level boot sector info in a way that simply erasing it won't.

If this still fails my last idea would be to use an external USB drive enclosure or drive dock with your drive and seeing if you are able to reinstall and run OS X strictly off the external as a test to eliminate any internal SATA issues.

Jun 24, 2019 2:50 PM in response to rcosta887

Hi,

thanks for your time!

The issue was here also with the original 500 gb 7200 rpm Seagate Apple drive.

Data/time was updated and correct after every single safe boot.

No upgraded made, the issue was still present also with the only keyboard connected.

I’ll try the Apple Hardware Test and the external drive.

The RAM was marked as OK by the system info, but when I made the boot a red LED series flash for a second on RAM’s board. Is it normal?

thanks in advance

Marco

Jun 24, 2019 3:01 PM in response to marcosb86

I don't know about the test LED behavior for the Mac Pro, I'm afraid. I just know that changing the RAM total does force some house-cleaning by the system, resetting the BIOS a bit, which is a good thing and can clear up problems.

Since there was this whole issue though before you even upgraded (thanks for clarifying that) it makes me concerned that there is some low-level hardware issue going on, and if none of these minor tricks kick it into working then that's the conclusion.

Definitely give the external drive technique a test. Also, during the OS X installation you can bring up the log during install I believe. You should see if there's anything enlightening there or not.

One last thing, looking at your Verbose screenshots I do see there was an SMC-related error, however one cannot automatically jump to the conclusion it means there is an SMC related problem or not. Some errors are "normal", and unfortunately I don't have enough base-line experience on these older Mac Pros to say for sure. But between changing the RAM total, and replacing the CR2032 battery, that's about all you can do in terms of SMC troubleshooting other than looking up any error codes that the Diagnostic mode test reveals.

But minus this last bit of testing (external drive-installed OS and Diagnostics mode) and depending on the results, that's about all I have for you!

Good luck!

Jun 26, 2019 9:57 AM in response to marcosb86

<<AHT (Apple Hardware Test) not available with 10.7.5, so I can't perform it.>>

Apple Hardware Test (AHT) for that Mac was shipped on the original-issue DVDs specific to that model. I do not know of ANY Mac that shipped with a 10.7 DVD.

The diagnostic was also installed on the ORIGINAL drive, but no software was responsible for replacing it after drive erasure or drive-swapping, so in most cases Apple Hardware Test on the Boot drive has been lost.

One enterprising user has collected all the easily-found copies of Apple Hardware Test on a Github site, and included a procedure for making a stand-alone Apple Hardware Test USB-stick:

https://github.com/upekkha/AppleHardwareTest

Mac Pro stuck on white screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.